Thread: Samba - odd slow read performance issue

Beans

Samba - odd slow read performance issue

Hello there, a mildly experienced (know how to use the CLI/Terminal, edit config files and tweak easily accessible things) Linux user here.

I have used an AMD E350 Fusion Mini-ITX board to build a HTPC/Fileserver for easy access of media, mostly movies and tv-shows, running Lubuntu 12.04 with XBMC (the XBMC-XvBA variant to be precise). I have been using a guide to install and configure all of the needed software for that purpose.

Right now I have set up a basic Samba install with an unsecured global guest share for easy uploading and access to my media library from Windows clients (exclusively Windows 7 x64, one client upgraded to SP1) on a closed, wired 1Gbps network. The share is set up on a LVM stripe connecting two WD20EARS 2TB harddrives.

The problem I'm seeing is Samba being unable to maintain fast (>60MB/s) read speeds, while writes are universally fast and consistent. This is a known problem and have been remedied in the past with adding opcodes to smb.conf... but here's the fun part:

It's not consistent.

I have been restarting the service as part of debugging my problem, and have noticed that on some restarts, Samba behaves properly, with read speeds consistent with the overall network speed. Earlier on I thought it was a result of tweaking and left it to work, but recently I had to reboot the server a couple of times and the problem comes back. I have now determined that Samba behaves erratically and there is no visible pattern to whether it behaves as it should or not.

I have been trying to determine whether the problem was with the drives, the LVM share, the CPU/RAM bottlenecking the board, the network gear or the network itself and i have no clues whatsoever - local readwrite tests show absolutely no problems with accessing the data and the network works as intended. Stresstests on a "good" service start are all green, and XBMC playing a 1080p h264 file has no impact other than stressing the CPU and reading from the same drive from which the file was copied over the network. That leaves me with some potential Samba issue with which neither my current knowledge nor Google could help me. I have tried tweaking my smb.conf on my own, but other than a few optimization tweaks, "bad" service starts still occur.

Here is my current smb.conf. It is a giant mess right now owing to different methods of trying to solve my problem:
    Code:
    [global]
            ;General server settings
            netbios name = SOULFORGE
            server string = Domowy serwer plikow
            workgroup = WORKGROUP
            domain master = yes
            local master = yes
            preferred master = yes
            load printers = no
            printing = bsd
            printcap name = /dev/null
            disable spoolss = yes
            announce version = 5.0
            passdb backend = tdbsam
            security = share
            guest account = nobody
            null passwords = true
            name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
            wins support = yes
            interfaces = lo, eth0
            bind interfaces only = true
            syslog = 1
            syslog only = yes
            log level = 1
            strict locking = no
            strict sync = no
            sync always = no
            large readwrite = no
            min receivefile size = 16384
            use sendfile = true
            aio read size = 16384
            aio write size = 16384
            read raw = yes
            write raw = yes
            kernel oplocks = yes
            max xmit = 65535
            dead time = 15
            getwd cache = yes

[Dane]
            path = /mnt/dysk
            public = yes
            browseable = yes
            guest only = yes
            writable = yes
            case sensitive = True
            oplocks = yes
            create mask = 0777
            directory mask = 0777

Beans

Re: Samba - odd slow read performance issue

Just reinstalled a clean Ubuntu Minimal on the system with currently nothing other than Samba on it - no window managers, no servers, no XBMC, no nothing. The weird behaviour is still present, so I can probably rule out inadvertant meddling with my setup.

Beans

Some more testing!

Installed minimal stable Debian Squeeze onto the hardware with nothing but Samba (3.5.6) and what do you know - it is loads faster than the one bundled with Ubuntu 12.04 (3.6.3) for some reason. I used a very, very basic smb.conf for the initial testing (already fast and stable by itself) and tweaked it around a bit - now I have consistent, very fast reads and writes every service start, with maybe realtime access (skipping through huge videos) not as fast as i'd have hoped to have with a 1Gpbs network - but it works without fail and doesn't cause headaches every time i wish to download my media.

Here is my current smb.conf:
    Code:
    [global]
       workgroup = WORKGROUP
       server string = Domowy Serwer Plikow
       wins support = no
       dns proxy = no
       name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast

interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8 eth0
       bind interfaces only = yes

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
       max log size = 1000

panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

security = share

#MODS

strict locking = no
       strict sync = no
       sync always = no
    #OH YOU   min receivefile size = 16384
    #OH YOU   use sendfile = true
    #OH YOU   aio read size = 16384
    #OH YOU   aio write size = 16384
       read raw = yes
       write raw = yes
       kernel oplocks = yes
    #OH YOU   max xmit = 65535
       dead time = 15
       getwd cache = yes

[Dane]
       public = yes
       browsable = yes
       read only = no
       writeable = yes
       create mask = 0777
       directory mask = 0777
       guest ok = yes
       guest only = yes
       path = /mnt/dysk
    The options commented out and marked with OH YOU were causing significant slowdowns, probably due to buffer scale mismatch. Having not enough time to properly find them myself, for now they'll have to stay that way.

Sendfile is a very interesting option - it caused exactly the same behaviour that I noticed with the Ubuntu-bundled Samba, that is on some service starts everything was fast and without problems, but other times it significantly lagged (<10MB/s, not the expected >60MB/s) with reads.

Right now I am considering either trying to go back to my first, mostly complete setup and forcing Sendfile off (not sure if it is enabled by default) to see if it alleviates my problem, or building up my whole setup from Debian. I am not yet marking this as solved, but I am almost sure that Samba itself is the problem here.

Beans

Well, after restoring an image with the mostly complete Lubuntu 12.04 install, i have checked whether forcing Use Sendfile off helped.

It didn't.

Right now I'm compiling samba 3.5.17 by hand on the target machine, to check if maybe the 3.6 branch is problematic. If that doesn't work, I'll compile 3.5.6 and check. If that also will not work... well, Debian it is i suppose.

Beans

Welp, compiling Samba 3.5.17 on the Lubuntu install didn't work - it still exhibits this behaviour. I'm not sure if I want to try compiling 3.5.6 now - it seems that Ubuntu is the problem somehow. For now, I'm giving up so to speak and will expand upon the Debian install.

Beans

After deciding to take one more stab at it, i got it working on my first (Lubuntu 12.04) install \o/ .

The offenders were raw read/write, large readwrite and use sendfile - those options were causing problems with Samba, but the final touch was getting max xmit just right - for some reason my router does not accept standard (big) SMB structures properly and even a default Win2k size transmission was giving it problems. I tuned it just right to achieve maximum performance vs. maximum throughput.

Here is the final, not cleaned up yet config file with assorted speed tweaks, some of which might not work for your setup and/or slow it down. Keep in mind that this should not be treated as a one-stop solution, but this is what worked for me.

Marking this one as solved.

Code:
    [global]
       workgroup = WORKGROUP
       server string = Domowy Serwer Plikow
       wins support = no
       dns proxy = no

interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8 eth0

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
       max log size = 1000

panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

security = share