Thread: keyboard settings

Beans

keyboard settings

Is anyone writing on a powerpc? I have tried the different keyboard layouts but cannot make some keys behave the way they should. I have a Norwegian Keyboard and have trouble with the dollar symbol, euro money symbol (they are not there at all), and and the two dots ¨ you put above some letters like a, o, ¨, it does not appear where they should? There is a difference between `´ like é, è, and the genetive "s" for example I have to use either "Ned`s bicycle" or "Ned´s bicycle, which neiter is correct is it? Some keys have three sybols, but I cannot make more than two appear what ever I do. They numeral key "4" has number 4, dollar sign and euro sign printed on but all I get is "4" or "¤" using shift.

Is this just the way it is?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: keyboard settings

I have no knowledge of the Norwegian keyboard layout, but in the "Ned's bicycle" example you show it is the apostrophe that is used for the possessive use of Ned. On my UK kb that is beside the colon and semi-colon key, and is also the @, (which on a US kb is the ", left of Enter).

For the three symbol keys, I also have the € sign on my 4 key, as well as the $. To use € I have to press the right hand Alt Gr key.

Your system may be different, being a powerpc, but I thought it worth mentioning these two things in the hope that it helps you.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; August 13th, 2012 at 12:55 PM.

Beans

Thanks for the suggestions. I have an "alt" key but no"gr alt" key. I have the regular apple key (with four loops sort of in a square). I might have the possesive type apostrophe on the dot/colon key, it has three signs but I can olny make two appear. From bottom left I have the keys; "fn", "ctrl", "alt", apple key, space bar, apple key, and a key I`m not sure what is (a line above a ^ sign, almost like a K turned 45 degrees clockwise, if that makes sense). I have tried all the combinations I can think of. A bit unusual. It can be a challenge in terminal some times.
    Last edited by 2blue; August 13th, 2012 at 02:31 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by 2blue View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have an "alt" key but no"gr alt" key. I have the regular apple key (with four loops sort of square). I might have the possesive type apostrophe on the dot/colon key, it has three signs but I can olny make two appear. From bottom left I have the keys; "fn", "ctrl", "alt", apple key, space bar, apple key, and a key I`m not sure what is (a line above a ^ sign, almost like a K turned 45 degrees clockwise, if that makes sense). I have tried all the combinations I can think of. A bit unusual. It can be a challenge in terminal some times.
    Well it was worth a try, but the powerpc kb is obviously very different from a standard qwerty PC kb, so I don't think I can help you further.

Beans

Thanks anyway, it was worth a try. I didn`t know the ibook was that different. There might be some setting or layout which might fix the cumbersome keyboard functions, I just have to keep trying.