Thread: Video Players Sometimes Shows Video

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Video Players Sometimes Shows Video

Hey everybody!

Sometimes Movie Player and VLC Player will play videos and sometimes they won't. I restarted the computer to see if it would fix the issue and it did. That's great, but I would like to know what to do besides restarting the computer in case this issue comes up again. I don't want to be restarting the computer everytime I try to play a video using Movie Player or VLC Player. Also, I'd like to know how to clear the history in Movie Player.

Thanks for the help.
    Question Everything

Beans

Re: Video Players Sometimes Shows Video

Totem gets it's it's history from ~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel, parsing out the last 5 from "<bookmark:group>Totem</bookmark:group>"

A lot of other 'histories' are stored there so generally not a great idea to delete the file itself. Editing out the individual totem entries would be quite a pita & not worth doing.

As far as sporadic playback issue try to produce an error message, either run vlc in a terminal with the -vv option or you can set vlc up to log messages to a text file

Otherwise when this happens ck. the tail end of ~/xsession-errors, may have something useful

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Totem gets it's it's history from ~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel, parsing out the last 5 from "<bookmark:group>Totem</bookmark:group>"

A lot of other 'histories' are stored there so generally not a great idea to delete the file itself. Editing out the individual totem entries would be quite a pita & not worth doing.

As far as sporadic playback issue try to produce an error message, either run vlc in a terminal with the -vv option or you can set vlc up to log messages to a text file

Otherwise when this happens ck. the tail end of ~/xsession-errors, may have something useful
    Okay, I'm a beginner when it comes to using the Terminal. Could you walk me through on trying to produce an error message with VLC or Movie Player and checking the tail end of ~/xsession-errors (don't really know what this means).
    Question Everything

Beans

Well -
    if you open your home folder & go ctrl+h it will show hidden files.
    Scroll down to the bottom to find .xsession-errors. You can open it in a text editor.
    No sense doing so until a vid won't play, then ck. it out (tail end means look near the end of the file.

If you open a terminal & go
    Code:
    vlc -vv
    vlc will produce debug info. Then just open your vid, if it won't play then ck. back in the terminal (don't close vlc or it will add alot more lines of info.
    vlc -vv does produce a lot of output so it may be easier to set up logging to text file, I could do that here tomorrow, (if some one else doesn't), as it's a bit late here

As far as totem - start from terminal with
    Code:
    totem --debug
    It will produce almost nothing but if the vid fails something may show up in the terminal

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Well -
    if you open your home folder & go ctrl+h it will show hidden files.
    Scroll down to the bottom to find .xsession-errors. You can open it in a text editor.
    No sense doing so until a vid won't play, then ck. it out (tail end means look near the end of the file.

If you open a terminal & go
    Code:
    vlc -vv
    vlc will produce debug info. Then just open your vid, if it won't play then ck. back in the terminal (don't close vlc or it will add alot more lines of info.
    vlc -vv does produce a lot of output so it may be easier to set up logging to text file, I could do that here tomorrow, (if some one else doesn't), as it's a bit late here

As far as totem - start from terminal with
    Code:
    totem --debug
    It will produce almost nothing but if the vid fails something may show up in the terminal
    Okay, let's continue this tomorrow since it's after 3 AM here. Thank you for your help so far.
    Question Everything