Thread: tweaking current networking for new device?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

tweaking current networking for new device?

I'm running 12.04 & Win7HP on a Nvidia/GeForce/AMD64. I have an IOmega Home Media/Cloud Drive. (previously also used a 32bit netbook with both 11.40 & Win7HP). Not sure its actually set up right, but my home network using smb actually does function. I'm replacing my netbook with an iPad2. The gateway is a Motorola SBG6580.

So now I need to know how do I tweak my networking (or change it completely if necessary) to incorporate IOS? I expect some learning curve on this and time isn't a major issue since Dropbox, Evernote, Google Drive, etc and linking up with Win7 will keep me able to get what I need to carry with me for a while. But my goal is not to store on the mobile, pull in what I need when I need so eventually I'm going to get fed up! Also my next computer purchase will be towards the end of the year and I'm seriously leaning towards a Mac. So expanding my understanding would be good.

Beans

Re: tweaking current networking for new device?

I can't believe so many are drinking the Kool Aid and think an iPad can replace a computer. iPads are not designed to access files on a Local Network. You may find an assortment of Apps and tweaks to enable what you want, but this not the forum for that question. You could do much more with a Mac, it has pretty good compatibility with Samba and other Linux services. With a iPad your network is not the limiting factor, it is the iPad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't expect my iPad to replace a PC. Yes like all cells and tablets access to the file directory basically doesn't exist. I chose a tablet to replace a smartphone and eliminate a net book for mobility purposes. My primary needs are PIM, mail, the ability to pull documents up as needed, create/edit documents. As long as my wifi connection works I can do all those things while out & about. (I had one big unplanned testing episode yesterday!).

Getting things from windows into the iPad will work thru wired sync and possibly iTunes. Those "special" apps work fine although differently than on my old iPhone. BTW so far I'm only using free apps. I will be buying Pages but I want the full (as much asIOS can give, now) WP ability. That will open up another syncing venue.

I was asking about making it visible on my local network. Functionality may be little to none. Honestly my current functionality would likely be considered limited I guess it's more of a learning a little more about a big lesson set. Especially sine a new computer, likely a Mac, is about 4-6 months Dow n the road.

?So are you saying the iPad cannot be added in as a remote device or such? That wouldn't be too surprising; most cells & smartphones can't be. Would be a good basic to know! It would be nice if it can. But it won't shatter my world if it can't.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by smcrossman View Post
    I don't expect my iPad to replace a PC. Yes like all cells and tablets access to the file directory basically doesn't exist. I chose a tablet to replace a smartphone and eliminate a net book for mobility purposes. My primary needs are PIM, mail, the ability to pull documents up as needed, create/edit documents. As long as my wifi connection works I can do all those things while out & about. (I had one big unplanned testing episode yesterday!).

Getting things from windows into the iPad will work thru wired sync and possibly iTunes. Those "special" apps work fine although differently than on my old iPhone. BTW so far I'm only using free apps. I will be buying Pages but I want the full (as much asIOS can give, now) WP ability. That will open up another syncing venue.

I was asking about making it visible on my local network. Functionality may be little to none. Honestly my current functionality would likely be considered limited I guess it's more of a learning a little more about a big lesson set. Especially sine a new computer, likely a Mac, is about 4-6 months Dow n the road.

?So are you saying the iPad cannot be added in as a remote device or such? That wouldn't be too surprising; most cells & smartphones can't be. Would be a good basic to know! It would be nice if it can. But it won't shatter my world if it can't.
    Apple IOS devices use TCP/IP. You should have no problems with connectivity. Samba (CIFS) file sharing is also available. You should be able to access Windows style shares. Search by the keyword samba at the app store. My Apple devices have no problems on my local network or connecting to the Internet.