Thread: Lenovo V570 no sound out of left speaker

Beans

Lenovo V570 no sound out of left speaker

I have a lenovo V570 laptop, which I installed ubuntu on awhile back. I don't know when this started, or if my laptop has had this problem all along. Unfortunately, I also don't have windows to check this with. The sound comes out fine out of the right speaker, but not the left, which I noticed with the sound test in the ubuntu sound settings. I then listen closely and felt the speakers, and it is indeed the case that sound only comes out of the right one.

Is there anyway to fix this, and to check whether it is hardware or software?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Lenovo V570 no sound out of left speaker

Is the sound mono when you connect a headset?

Beans

I don't know. I don't have a headset since I have hearing aids.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LeeS87 View Post
    I have a lenovo V570 laptop, which I installed ubuntu on awhile back. I don't know when this started, or if my laptop has had this problem all along. Unfortunately, I also don't have windows to check this with. The sound comes out fine out of the right speaker, but not the left, which I noticed with the sound test in the ubuntu sound settings. I then listen closely and felt the speakers, and it is indeed the case that sound only comes out of the right one.

Is there anyway to fix this, and to check whether it is hardware or software?
    first is to determine what is failing. can you connect another device to the audio? the screen I'm using now has an audio input -- 3.5 mm stereo jack. the question is -- do you have a bad speaker or a bad sound chip ? if an external device works ok it might be the built in speaker. ( yuk ) . you could also use a "Y" cable and hook your "line out" (green/lime) jack to you stereo ( line in level ) . then repeat theUbuntu/systems/sound test for left/right speakers to the alt. device. if this works you would suspect the speaker -- or amp -- in your display screen.

Beans

I'm going to assume I have a bad speaker, since external speakers worked. Thanks.