Thread: bootloader problem 12.04 install

Beans

bootloader problem 12.04 install

Hi,

I was dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.04 on a Gateway desktop pc. I wanted to install Ubuntu 12.04. I tend to do fresh installs and not upgrades. When I poped in the live CD (usb) I was given an option of erasing 11.04 and installing 12.04 (along with upgrading 11.04, erasing everything and installing 12.04 etc).

I chose to erase 11.04 and install 12.04 and the installation proceeded without problems. But at the end, I got an grub error (I dont remember on which partition how do I find this out?) mentioning that it was a fatal error. It gave me three options to proceed, install the bootloader on sdb (usb), continue without bootloader or cancel the installation. I chose to continue without the bootloader, hoping to install it manually later. However, I don't really know how to go about doing this. I hope my Windows system is not disturbed (which should be the case since this is a bootloader issue).

Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks.
    Custom Build:
    Windows 10 and Kubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: bootloader problem 12.04 install

linux n ;

Not to be too perturbed ... shud be good...
    we will get grub loaded properly ....
    1. lets find out what your system looks like .. -how many drives do you have installed -and, what partition has ubie loaded as the boot partition.
    do in terminal:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    will require your password... will get no response of entered password echoed to screen....
    now look on the output for a line with an astaric (*) in it ... and advise what the left column designates (ie /dev/sda1)....
    warm regards <====BDQ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you cannot boot, just use a liveCD. Once in, find out on which partition you installed ubuntu with either gparted or as Bashing-om said using the command:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    After that, let's say you installed ubuntu in the /dev/sda1 partition, open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    This will mount the partition in the /mnt folder.
    Then type:
    Code:
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
    this will install grub bootloader in the device /dev/sda with all the configuration files in the /dev/sda1 partition because it is mounted in the /mnt folder.
    After that, unmount the partition:
    Code:
    sudo umount /dev/sda
    For more information:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275
    13. Reinstalling GRUB2 from LiveCD

Beans

Hey guys,

Sorry for the late reply. I booted using the livecd and chose to install the OS again by using the custom option. I created / and /home fresh and everything worked out fine. Grub got installed correctly and I was able to boot into windows and ubuntu without any problems.

Thanks for your help!
    Custom Build:
    Windows 10 and Kubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No problem, glad to know you managed to make it work.