Thread: Network Expansion Solution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Question Network Expansion Solution

Hey everybody!

I need to be able to hook up more devices to my router, but the router only has 4 ports. How can I achieve this? The most cost-effective way please. What are my options?

Thanks in advance.
    Question Everything

Beans

Re: Network Expansion Solution

look for a network switch from 4-40 ports as needed

Beans

yes basic unmanaged ethernet switches are cheap these days - I just picked up an 8-port TrendNet GigE for < $30, and 10/100 Mb 5-port devices are sub $20 (but remember with a 5 port device you only actually get 3 net additional ports - you lose 1 LAN port from both the switch and the router when you wire them together)

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for replying.

My router is a Linksys WRT160N. Any switch would work with the router?
    Question Everything

Beans

Yes any switch should work fine. network switches are basically a dumb device and allow for easy expansion. Unless you get a managed Switch which can be as complex as most routers but normally not needed for smaller networks.

Beans
    Distro

A managed switch? I'm curious about what that is and what it offers. Got any information I can take a look at to understand what that is.

I greatly appreciate all the help.
    Question Everything

Beans

Smart switches or normally called managed switches can be found a number of places. and prices ranges from around $200 and up. check www.newegg.com and places like it. All will require at least some networking knowledge to properly configure. Cisco is a name youll likely know Netgear and many others price will vary depending on a number of things features and functions and number of ports. If you want to check one out you can find them listed on ebay for cheap keep in mind they will likely be used/pulled from service but functional. All contain an IOS or operating system with a language all its own.
    Last edited by chadk5utc; August 12th, 2012 at 04:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chadk5utc View Post
    Smart switches or normally called managed switches can be found a number of places. and prices ranges from around $200 and up. check www.newegg.com and places like it. All will require at least some networking knowledge to properly configure. Cisco is a name youll likely know Netgear and many others price will vary depending on a number of things features and functions and number of ports. If you want to check one out you can find them listed on ebay for cheap keep in mind they will likely be used/pulled from service but functional. All contain an IOS or operating system with a language all its own.
    Oh, I see. Thank you for that explanation.
    Question Everything