Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rearrange top menu icons?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation Rearrange top menu icons?

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knew how to rearrange the top menu icons or even if it possible at all? Specifically, I have a set of specific things that start at boot (including weather, sysmon, etc) and I want everything I launch after logging in, to be to the left of all the at launch icons.

Right now, they seem to be starting randomly in terms of placement....Specifically, I'd like the KMess icon (green bird) to be to the left of the Skype (green checkmark) icon. Is it possible to rearrange the order of these icons?

613websites.com Canadian Web Design and Hosting

Beans

Re: Rearrange top menu icons?

I would like to know this as well..

BTW, what is that "green bird" you got there? it looks nice.. what app is it or what does it do?

Beans
    Distro

It's KMess, a linux MSN Messenger client.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

The indicators can be moved in Gnome Classic with Alt + Right Click or Super Key + Alt + Right Click. In Unity, indicators other than the defaults normally appear in the order the applications were installed and can't be moved.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    In Unity, indicators other than the defaults normally appear in the order the applications were installed and can't be moved.
    That doesn't seem to be the case....Not only did I install KMess last, but I also launched it last but it still places the icon in in between others and NOT at the end (to the left). Could this be an issue with the KMess icon specifically? I don't believe it is choosing where to place itself however so I think it is a bug with the default top menu bar package in Ubuntu 12.04...

It should be organizing icons not by install order or anything else, but simply in what order were they started....That way, all the default at boot icons would be first and each application you launch after, will place their icon to the left of ones already there. If that were the case, I wouldn't have this issue

Beans
    Distro

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Seems like this is a common problem but nobody has idea's on how to move the icons around....

Beans
    Distro

For those of you who are also looking for a solution, read THIS. I found it while doing some serious research into this issue and while it does not work for me (Ubuntu 12.04 x64) it may work for you....

The article was written in June of last year so I am guessing the author was using 11.04 (or even older?) and modifying that file for me did change things, but for the worse.....

Beans
    Distro

If those icons are in the indicator section of the menu bar, then I'm not sure if they can be moved; however, see what right-clicking on the icons will do - it's possible that there is a 'move' option in the popup menu...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 25tom View Post
    If those icons are in the indicator section of the menu bar, then I'm not sure if they can be moved; however, see what right-clicking on the icons will do - it's possible that there is a 'move' option in the popup menu...
    No, there is not. I've read similar stories online (ctrl + right click, middle click, super key +alt + right click) but none of that stuff works as it is gnome panel shortcuts....The only thing that looks like it might work, is middle clicking on the icon (makes it flash) but then it does nothing.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Maybe it's just impossible with Unity...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast