Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: no drives found?

Beans

no drives found?

A friend of mine gave me his dell inspiron 6000 to try to get a os running on it. it originally had xp home on it and when booted it comes up with error " internal hdd soft error: fixed by retries. strike f1 to continue, f2 to run setup utility. when i press f1 i get a black screen.

i then try to install a copy of window 7 ultimate(as requested by friend) and it loaded files and started the install. when it gets to the prompt to select drives it says that no drives are found. I rebooted to try again and it wont go past the windows logo screen.

next i wanted to try putting ubuntu on so i threw in a ubuntu 10.4 live cd and attempted an install. i get threw the 7 steps and start the installation and it gets 15% and stops with input/output error during read on /dev/sda. pressing retry does nothing and after pressing ignor about 8 times it starts over runs up 5% and pops up with Failed to create a file system The ext4 file system creation in partition #1 of sci1 (0,0,0)(sda) failed. clicking ok birngs me back to step (5 who are you?). if i try to go back or forward another pop up says ubi-migrationassistant fail.

I am able to use the try ubuntu feature and i tried to format the hdd but gparted and the disk utility show no drives. not sure if the drive is shot or im just doing something wrong

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: no drives found?

Hi ,
    sorry to post that but I think you must tell your friend to prepare his pocket for a new drive.
    To make this for sure.. Boot up and click "Try Ubuntu" and when you are in desktop environment open a terminal (ctrl+alt+t) and copy-pate below commands from here to terminal one at time.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install smartmontools --no-install-recommends
    sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda
    Give the results of second command here
    Put the results inside [CODE] tags , by highlighting the text and click the # symbol on top of message pane.
    Thanks
    # How to mark the Thread as [SOLVED] when done.
    # Ubuntu Greek Community
    # Gain 20GB of space on copy.com when sign up with my referral link.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Kickinthedoor;
    Another option might be to zero out that disk with the VERY destructive command dd .. and see if you can then install ubuntu. It is a lengthy process but might be worth the effort.

Beans

I will try that command as soon as i get back to the machine. If the drives dead its no biggie. We just wanted to have another comoputer in are shop just for social networking and ordering products. thanks for the help

Beans

@NikTh- Here is the result from the second command in terminal.

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda
    smartctl version 5.38 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
    Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Smartctl open device: /dev/sda failed: No such file or directory
    I'm guessing that the failure isn't a good sign.

@ Bashing-om can you tell me more about this destructive command or maybe a link to a walk through? I'm not worried about doing any more damage so I'm game to try anything. Or is the results of that command enough to determine the drive has gone belly up? Once again, thanks for the help. this community is the best around!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi ,
    can you give the results of
    Code:
    sudo parted -l 
    sudo fdisk -l
    are you sure the disk is well connected ? check the wire if you can.
    Thanks
    # Ubuntu Greek Community

Beans

Once again im not near the machine. Ill check the conection when i get home. Should blow it out with some dust off? I will also run those commands. Thanks for helpin me out

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Kickin:
    After ya comply with NikTh's advise/directive we can see 'bout the dd comand.
    I have faith in it to restore a disk if it has no physical defects.

Motto: one thing at a time! ===>BDQ

Beans

@ NikTh I took out the 2 little screws holding the drive in place, removed and checked the connection. no damage i could see and it was clean as well. replaced and secured drive and ran those commands. here are the reuslts

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo parted -l
    Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system).  /dev/sr0
    has been opened read-only.
    Error: /dev/sr0: unrecognised disk label                                  

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Kickinthedoor View Post
    @ NikTh I took out the 2 little screws holding the drive in place, removed and checked the connection. no damage i could see and it was clean as well. replaced and secured drive and ran those commands. here are the reuslts

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo parted -l
    Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system).  /dev/sr0
    has been opened read-only.
    Error: /dev/sr0: unrecognised disk label                                  

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
    Hi ,
    sorry but I cannot understand what happened. It seems that Ubuntu cannot even recognize that you have Hard Drive installed. (plugged) .
    Wait for someone more experienced with new idea or something.
    Thanks and sorry I cannot help.
    # Ubuntu Greek Community

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast