Openshot seems to be the easiest to use for what I want. I have about 70 videos that I need to put a title and copyright notice on at the beginning.
The scrolling title function will only accept 32 characters. My title is around 50 characters and the copyright is 169 characters.

This 32 character limit is a known problem as far back as 2 release/updates ago. It has not been fixed. One of the work arounds is to create a PNG image on a transparent background and overlay it to your video.

Using Gimp, for my title ( 36 charecters ), I created a PNG image 2010 x 240 pixels using 118 point type. This looks good and with a 45 second time length is readable.
Using Gimp, for my copyright notice ( 169 charecters ), I created a PNG image 10750 x 240 pixels using 118 point type (thats what it takes to fit 169 characters at 118 point size). The 60 second time length is OK, but the size of the text displayed is too small to read.

I've tried the suggestion of using Open Office to create a PDF and the 'pdf2svg' to convert it. This SVG file acts the same, text too small to read.

When I drop these images into the time line and play, the scrolling text starts, the title is Ok, the copyright is too small to read.

Has anyone encountered this problem and could tell me a solution?

Thanks for reading this
Dave