Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Default Screenshot App Bug?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Default Screenshot App Bug?

Is anyone able to take a screenshot with a top menu icon dropdown displayed? Could someone test it quickly on their setup? Maybe it's just an issue on my end...
    613websites.com Canadian Web Design and Hosting

Beans

I have just tried it and I can confirm what vasa posted: works if you set a delay for the screenshot, not instantly when the dropdown menu is used.

Beans

Try taking the screenshot in the Unity2d session.
    I've found screenshots in compiz of dropdowns or menus a bit hit or miss.
    Still need to set a delay though.
    Last edited by stinkeye; August 13th, 2012 at 06:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Screenshot is an application also. If in default Ubuntu install, open dash type screenshot and launch it. It will launch the screenshot program where you can set a delay, like what vasa1 described. I think the inability to capture dropdown menus with the printscreen button has to do with the fact that it is integrated into the menubar system.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Screenshot is an application also. If in default Ubuntu install, open dash type screenshot and launch it. It will launch the screenshot program where you can set a delay, like what vasa1 described. I think the inability to capture dropdown menus with the printscreen button has to do with the fact that it is integrated into the menubar system.
    I don't know the technicalities but it's possible that things like drop-down menus are sensitive to what the next key press or mouse click is. If it isn't one of the options present in the menu, the menu closes or doesn't allow the key press or mouse click to register. As I said I don't know the technicalities

I'm not sure that this is limited to Unity. I see it with Xfce as well.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I don't know the technicalities but it's possible that things like drop-down menus are sensitive to what the next key press or mouse click is. If it isn't one of the options present in the menu, the menu closes or doesn't allow the key press or mouse click to register. As I said I don't know the technicalities

I'm not sure that this is limited to Unity. I see it with Xfce as well.
    Yeah, it's hard to say why it behaves as it does. I'd be reluctant to advise the OP to file a bug report, because I feel it seems like the kind of behavior that would be labelled 'won't fix'.
    And besides, depending on whether the OP can get it to work, the workarounds of launching the screenshot through the terminal or application menu and setting the delay works well enough.
    Setting the delay to five seconds seems to be more than enough time to set the page with dropdown menus staged.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12