Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: installing ubuntu 12.04 on Mac Mini 4,1

Beans

Re: installing ubuntu 12.04 on Mac Mini 4,1

Hello,

Good news. On Macs and some new PCs, one can boot either in EFI mode (EFI being new replacement of legacy BIOS) or in legacy BIOS mode. I found out that if I boot from an USB I can only boot in EFI mode. Booting in EFI mode is known to have issues with certain linux video drivers - in particular nVidia chipsets don't work well when booting in EFI.
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/ubuntu-efi/index.html
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting

I therefore burned a CD with 12.04.1 amd64 and booted it in BIOS compatibility mode (http://dustin.li/2011/05/how-to-inst...on-a-mac-mini/). This worked well and I could boot 12.04.1 all the way into the Unity desktop.

BIOS compatibility mode offers good graphics performance so I'll stick with it and try to proceed with fresh install. Let you know how it goes.

Beans

Thats good news.

Good luck with the fresh install.

Beans

I'm late, I read only now your commentaries. But I hope that my observations will be read. I have a mac mini mid 2012, with a CPU P8800 and a graphic card nvidia geforce 320M. I used on it the Ubuntu 10.10, with the proprietary driver nvidia, which run very well in bios emulation mode.
    Recently I've installed the 12.04 version. To do it, I used the alternate distribution and installed it in the bios emulation mode. After the installation I passed to the kernel, on the command line, “nomodeset reboot=noacpi”, because it was impossible to use the driver “nouveau”. It seems that it's incapable to recognize the graphic card.
    It's strange because this driver with the 12.04 run very well on the macbook pro 7.1, which has the same processor and above all the same graphic chip (nvidia geforce 320M). And not only in bios emulation mode but in EFI mode, that is the mode I use with the macbook pro.
    In the mac mini, xorg was using the vesa driver, which is limited in the dimension of the display, 1024x768, I believe. So it's for this reason that we were obliged to add the nomodeset option.
    After to upgrade Ubuntu, I added temporally the repository proposed and install the proprietary driver nvidia 304.43. The result is good but the display is not so good as with Ubuntu 10.10 which is very excellent as the one I obtained on the macbook pro with the 12.04 version with the driver nouveau in EFI mode. I don't know why !
    May be it's possible to oblige the driver “nouveau” to recognize the graphic card to pass to it some parameters ? Somebody has any idea ?
    I will look for more information and in any way I will try with the 12.10 distribution. But it's a petty because the 12.04 is one of the best Ubuntu distribution. I will continue to report my experience if any body is interesting.

Beans

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience on nvidia drivers. If you get any further on MacMini please let us know. I want to use Ubuntu also for photography processing.

Jan

p.s. I haven't have time to install 12.04 on MacMini (in BIOS compatible mode) yet but I'll report back when I do.

Beans

[SOLVED] Re: installing ubuntu 12.04 on Mac Mini 4,1

Hello,

I managed to successfully instal Ubuntu 12.04.1 on my Mac Mini 4,1. I did the triple boot scenario with MacOS, Ubuntu and Win7.

0) MacOS X was already installed
    1) I created a custom GPT partition layout for Ubuntu and Win7 (in Ubuntu I wanted to have separate backup partition etc.). I did it by booting Ubuntu CD and creating partitions from within the temporarily booted Ubuntu.
    2) I hybridized main partitions into a hybrid MBR from within MacOS using gdisk.
    3) I installed rEFIt from within MacOS.
    4) Then I was ready to proceed with an installation of Win7.
    5) And finally, I installed Ubuntu. The trick here was to boot Ubuntu from a CDROM in BIOS mode (holding C while booting). Boot loader (grub) has to be installed in / partition or other dedicated partition, not in MBR).

The point is that Win7 partition and Ubuntu partition with Grub must be included in hybrid MBR. Once Ubuntu is booted it can "see" an entire GPT table.

I found the following links helpful.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook/TripleBoot
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html

Cheers,
    Jan

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Re: installing ubuntu 12.04 on Mac Mini 4,1

FYI for others that find this useful thread: I was having horrible graphics problems (screen flashing on and off) and these were resolved by switching from the minidvi-to-vga cable to the hdmi-to-dvi cable. Also, 12.04.3 is too large for a CD, but I was able to find and download 12.04.2, which is JUST less than 700MB.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12