Thread: Need help setting up RTL8192u usb wireless driver (Realtek device)

Beans

Cool Need help setting up RTL8192u usb wireless driver (Realtek device)

Hey guys! I have a rtl8192u device from Realtek that is a wireless usb adapter. I plug it in and it doesn't work. So I tried looking around the net for drivers for that device for Ubuntu, but I didn't seem to find any. So I looked for a solution on Debian and I found a page on the Debian Wiki that contains the instructions and the driver:

http://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x

Unfortunately, I'm not experienced enough with Ubuntu or Debian to follow the instructions correctly (I tried these instructions on a Debian install and a Ubuntu install). My questions are:

Is it possible to make the Debian packages/drivers for my device work in Ubuntu? And if yes, how can I do it? (If you know the answer, please explain in detail the procedure, I am a noob ) If no, does anyone that has that device or similar knows an alternative method to get it working?

Funny how things are: I stayed away from Ubuntu because my intel video kept crashing ever since 9.04 and I could not fix it and it still crashed on 10.04! On 10.10 it stopped crashing, I was so happy to be able to use Ubuntu again, then I realized I couldn't make internet work in it haha. I hope I find a solution, I really don't wanna go back to Windows .

Thanks a lot for your time!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Need help setting up RTL8192u usb wireless driver (Realtek device)

I would try to install the firmware from the Debian repos. To do that just plug your computer into your router via ethernet cable and issue these commands from a termial:

Code:
    wget http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian-backports//pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-realtek_0.24~bpo50+1_all.deb
    followed by:

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i ./firmware-realtek_0.24~bpo50+1_all.deb
    finally:

Code:
    sudo reboot
    If for some reason installing the firmware doesn't work, you can uninstall it by issuing this command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge firmware-realtek_0.24~bpo50+1_all.deb
    Let me know how it goes.
    -o)
    /\\
    _\_V
    Message void if penguin is violated...Don't mess with the penguin.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I now this is an older thread, but I just wanted to thank you and confirm this as working (for me at least!)

So: Thank you!

Actually writing this with a wireless connection thanks to this thread!

The firmware package is updated to 0.27 so the link isn't correct anymore, but it works great!
    Here is a new link to the newer firmware package:

Code:
    wget http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian-backports//pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-realtek_0.27~bpo50+1_all.deb
    - Qui non est hodie, cras minus aptus erit -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lucaspr View Post
    I now this is an older thread, but I just wanted to thank you and confirm this as working (for me at least!)

So: Thank you!

Actually writing this with a wireless connection thanks to this thread!

The firmware package is updated to 0.27 so the link isn't correct anymore, but it works great!
    Here is a new link to the newer firmware package:

Code:
    wget http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian-backports//pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-realtek_0.27~bpo50+1_all.deb
    No problem, bro. I'm just glad to have helped someone.
    -o)
    /\\
    _\_V
    Message void if penguin is violated...Don't mess with the penguin.

Beans

I registered just to say THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

After looking around stupidly for 2 days I finally found the answer to this question. I didn't even know what my little Realtek USBs factory number was... but this worked perfectly!

Thanks so much!

I had to use my brain though and replace the commands with the proper version numbers and then mess around with 1 or 2 other things but this worked flawlessly! I almost had a heart attack when I installed Ubuntu because my windows OS broke and I plugged this USB in and it didn't work...

Thanks so much. Power to Linux!

Beans

Hey again - nice to see that spcwingo's solution worked for you guys. I had actually switched computers back then so I didn't need my RTL8192u anymore, sorry if I didn't follow up in the thread. Thanks for posting a solution spcwingo!

I have actually unboxed my old computer and now I'm running into a new problem installing the package - this is what my Terminal outputs to me:

Code:
    Selecting previously unselected package firmware-realtek.
    (Reading database ... 169183 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking firmware-realtek (from .../firmware-realtek_0.35~bpo60+1_all.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing /home/ricardo/Desktop/firmware-realtek_0.35~bpo60+1_all.deb (--install):
     trying to overwrite '/lib/firmware/RTL8192E/main.img', which is also in package linux-firmware 1.79
    dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /home/ricardo/Desktop/firmware-realtek_0.35~bpo60+1_all.deb
    Can you anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks for your time!

Update: I removed firmware-linux and installed firmware-realtek to see if my device would work, but no go. I read the changelog of the .deb and apparently it does not support my device, so now I'm looking around for the correct driver. Will update if I find it. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Turtleman; August 19th, 2012 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Update