Thread: Whole system stutters, probably drivers issue

Beans

Whole system stutters, probably drivers issue

Hi. I've just recently encountered this problem. Basically, whole system is stuttering.

Issues started to appear after going from Ubuntu 12.04 to 12.10. I work as a Java programmer, and I've noticed that as soon as I've updated the system, the Nouveau drivers returned errors every time when I was putting anything in GPU memory: "nouveau kernel rejected".

So I've switched to proprietary drivers and everything was working flawless... Until few hours ago, then whole system started stuttering without any apparent reason. Everything freezes once in a few seconds in what appears to be fixed intervals.

Changing drivers back to Nouveau gets rid of this issue, but I still am not able to work, as my application doesn't run with them since the update.

The computer I speak of doesn't have the best GPU out there (onboard GeForce 6150SE) but it's enough for my work.

I've tried to run jockey-gtk too see if my drivers are running correctly, but I can't, system does not recognize this command and when I run sudo apt-get install jockey-gtk it clearly states, that it's already installed. So I guess the problem is much bigger than I thought.

I'm sitting ducks and I have no idea what to do. I am not in a position to reinstall the system. Already done a research on Google and forums, but I couldn't find anything I would be able to relate to. .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Whole system stutters, probably drivers issue

The application jockey has been removed and here is how to do it in 12.10:

http://itsfoss.com/how-to-install-ad...-10-quick-tip/

Beans

Re: Whole system stutters, probably drivers issue

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    The application jockey has been removed and here is how to do it in 12.10:

http://itsfoss.com/how-to-install-ad...-10-quick-tip/
    I've already been using this method then, to switch between the drivers.

Still:
    - When using open drivers, they starts flashing error "nouveau kernel rejected" every time I try to put something in GPU memory, also the system freeze completely after few minutes.
    - When using proprietary drivers, the system stutters in fixed intervals (1-2 seconds of freeze every ~5 seconds).

I have a feeling that the problem might be related to Compiz, as when I kill it the problem stops (but I can't really work without a window manager). Reinstalling Compiz didn't helped at all, though.

Edit: When using XFCE problem does not occur.
    Last edited by prabab; November 9th, 2012 at 04:48 PM.