Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12.04-How does "it" know that "Updates [are] Available"?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 12.04-How does "it" know that "Updates [are] Available"?

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    This is how I have software-sources-gtk set on my system, the only time I get the update notification is after I've manually run an update, either via synaptic, or:

Code:
    aptitude update
    The line updates available... in the menu is always there on my install, regardless if updates are there or not.
    It is apparently just an entry in the menu where one can open it and see if updates are there or not.
    Even after I update all, this menu entry remains there.

So I dont see what to worry abt.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by ottosykora View Post
    The line updates available... in the menu is always there on my install, regardless if updates are there or not.
    It is apparently just an entry in the menu where one can open it and see if updates are there or not.
    Even after I update all, this menu entry remains there.

So I dont see what to worry abt.
    That string should change to "Software Up To Date" when no updates are available.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The point is no "online" contacting "home" without permission - or more better (as they say) no online outgoing transmissions or inbound "scanning my system" without permission.

Makes sense from a security standpoint; if "A" automatically checks for updates by seeing what I have here, then why can't "B" check for TS/SCI headers (or whatever) here and store a cookie, a few random bits, or use my broadband to phone home to ET or UBL?

Thanks.
    Ubuntu 16.04-Dell P390,Pentium D 3.4G,4G R,NVIDIA GT360
    Ubuntu 16.04-Dell DE520,Pentium D 2.80G, 3G R,NVIDIA GeForce9500GT
    Ubuntu 18.04-Dell PM90,Intel T2600 2.1G,4G R,NVIDIA Quadro FX 500M
    Ubuntu 18.04-HP 15-F233wm,Celeron N3050 1.6G,4G R,Intel HD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by emarkay View Post
    The point is no "online" contacting "home" without permission - or more better (as they say) no online outgoing transmissions or inbound "scanning my system" without permission.
    Then turn checking for updates off.

Makes sense from a security standpoint; if "A" automatically checks for updates by seeing what I have here, then why can't "B" check for TS/SCI headers (or whatever) here and store a cookie, a few random bits, or use my broadband to phone home to ET or UBL?
    If you are worried about your OS phoning home to <insert government agency here> use a different OS, lock down your outbound firewall or just don your tinfoil hat.

If you don't trust the distro you are running, use a different distro. Debian, Mint, Fedora, Scientific, take your pick.

As a sidenote: Even Debian and Fedora check for updates automatically, if that is a huge deal, turn it off and do it yourself.

In any case, the packages in the repos are signed with GPG, so their integrity can be verified.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by emarkay View Post
    I don't want any "checking for updates" without my strict permission...

Is this not a security issue?
    How is it a security issue?
    Occam's Razor for computers: Viruses must never be postulated without necessity -- nevius

My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My suggestion would be that if you dislike Ubuntu checking your geo-location, time servers and updates, Ubuntu may not be the distribution for you. Ubuntu is designed to be easy to use for most types of users. If you are removing packages you don't like, possibly breaking your installation, you may be better off using a distribution that allows you much more control of what is installed. This means of course that you will have to learn how to do things the Linux way, instead of doing things the same way you do them in Windows.

If I want to control what is installed, I usually do a Debian net-install, this allows me to install only what I need, without a lot of extra cruft. I have Debian stable installed on an Apple G4, and I rarely do updates on it, it's been up with the same install for the last 3 years, and I doubt if in that time I've done an update more than 2 or 3 times. I have the system blocked from the internet in my router, and I specifically have to unblock it in order to do any updates. The system serves as an mp3 player, and has no need to access the internet. I turn it on when I go out to my shop, it automagically starts playing music, and when I leave, I turn it off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12