Thread: Note about Wiki Spam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Note about Wiki Spam

At System76's Knowledge Base (http://knowledge76.com), we strive to create and maintain up-to-date reference documentation on our systems and Ubuntu. However, it is constantly a challenge to keep spam content from compromising the integrity of the information. We take spam very seriously, and remove it when we see it. We also take steps to ban user accounts found to be posting spam content.

In these bans, it may be that a legitamite user account is banned, and denied access to edit or contribute information to the Knowledge Base. If you have found this is the case with you, send us an email at support...at...system76...dot...com, and we'd be happy to correct the error.

Also, if happen to find spam content on the knowledge base, please let us know so that we can remove it.

Thanks for your understanding, and sorry for any inconvenience.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Note about Wiki Spam

From this post it sounds like users are allowed to create accounts for the wiki. However, I can't actually figure out how to do so. The log in/create account page only allows logging in, with no link for creating an account. Has account creation been disabled as well?

I want to edit the "Restoring Your System" page, because following the current instructions with a fresh (but un-updated) install of 12.04 will result in a "Dependency is not satisfiable: python-gnome2" error unless the package lists are first updated with "sudo apt-get update". Pretty standard fix for unmet dependencies but I figure it's worth a mention in the wiki for new users.
    Last edited by adempewolff; August 13th, 2012 at 07:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Note about Wiki Spam

Quote Originally Posted by adempewolff View Post
    From this post it sounds like users are allowed to create accounts for the wiki. However, I can't actually figure out how to do so. The log in/create account page only allows logging in, with no link for creating an account. Has account creation been disabled as well?

I want to edit the "Restoring Your System" page, because following the current instructions with a fresh (but un-updated) install of 12.04 will result in a "Dependency is not satisfiable: python-gnome2" error unless the package lists are first updated with "sudo apt-get update". Pretty standard fix for unmet dependencies but I figure it's worth a mention in the wiki for new users.
    This is actually only a problem if you perform a fresh installation without internet access. If you do have internet, then the package cache is updated for you.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!