Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backtrack or Blackbuntu - ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Backtrack or Blackbuntu - ?

Quote Originally Posted by listerdl View Post
    anonymous also came out with a distro. Probably had a back door on it thou
    *facepalm because you bumped a thread just to tell us about a rethemed version of Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    *facepalm because you bumped a thread just to tell us about a rethemed version of Ubuntu.
    Oh, you mean like Backtrack & Blackbuntu or (insert one of a thousand distro names here).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    - you make it sound like I benefit from bumping this thread?

I thought people might be interested in anonymous distro.

Don't take life so seriously

Beans

I'll take this back to the original question.
    I have yet to work with either one; however BT5R3 is more current than Blackbuntu 10.10. Although according to the website, a Blackbuntu 12.04 is in the making.
    I would also like to know which one would be better to learn security testing on (I want to hack legally), and if switching back and forth between the two later on would be easy?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowGuardian View Post
    I'll take this back to the original question.
    I have yet to work with either one; however BT5R3 is more current than Blackbuntu 10.10. Although according to the website, a Blackbuntu 12.04 is in the making.
    I would also like to know which one would be better to learn security testing on (I want to hack legally), and if switching back and forth between the two later on would be easy?
    This thread is almost a year old. I will try to answer your question though: If you like Ubuntu as a distro use Ubuntu and port over the tools you need if you plan on installing to your hard drive. If not and you just want to use a livecd then use whatever you are more comfortable with that has the tools you need on the disc. Really learning security testing does not depend on what distro you run. These distros are put together with a bunch of other peoples automated scripts / programs to make things quicker / easier. Learn how networking works, grab the source of some of the exploits and read through them, learn some assembly and how the back end of all this works and you'll be on your way. I have gone from distro to distro. Tried blackbuntu, backtrack, weakerthan, backbox, and pentoo. None of them felt like home really. Because they weren't my main distro of choice. Luckily most if not all the included applications are open source so I can use them all in my home distro. So again to answer your question: Neither. It doesn't matter. Learn how your distro of choice works and go nuts. Your not going to learn more by being spoonfed applications that you may or may not know how to use / how they operate. Hope that helps at all.

Beans

Backtrack

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

If there was ever an 'industry standard' I would say it would be BackTrack.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In my opinion, any OS is okay for pentesting, such as Windows, Mac OS and Linux. You need the skills and tools.

I think the most important is your skills and then the tools. Even you have a lot of tools such as those inside BackTrack, you do not have basic pentesting/hacking skills or knowledge, those tools are rubbish.

If there is no suitable tool for your pentesting/hacking, you can create one if you have skills or knowledge.

I don't believe so called "industry standard".

Period.

Samiux

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by samiux View Post
    In my opinion, any OS is okay for pentesting, such as Windows, Mac OS and Linux. You need the skills and tools.

I think the most important is your skills and then the tools. Even you have a lot of tools such as those inside BackTrack, you do not have basic pentesting/hacking skills or knowledge, those tools are rubbish.

If there is no suitable tool for your pentesting/hacking, you can create one if you have skills or knowledge.

I don't believe so called "industry standard".

Period.

Samiux
    Agreed that simply having the tools does not make you skilled.

I hope you mean there's no industry standard for tools. Because there is definitely an industry standard for pen testing. There are far too many "professional" pen testers oblivious to any standards.

Beans

it is all about what colour do you want your toolbox to be.

That is all they are, a toolbox filled with tools, a true raftsman can carve a masterpiece from a rock with a spoon, but give a monkey a chisel and a hammer and you best get out the way. (which reminds me of this funnily enough https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhxqIITtTtU which sums up most Backtrack users

If you know what you are doing with the tools it doesnt matter, if you dont then none of the tool boxes are going to help anyways.

BT for me from way back when it was whoppix and iWHAX and looking forward to Kali which is coming soon.

peace
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast