Thread: VMWare Multi Core not functioning Correctly?

Hybrid View

Beans

VMWare Multi Core not functioning Correctly?

Hi,

I am using Ubuntu 11.10 under VMWare Workstation 8. I have several process running each of which periodically needs to perform system commands such as copying and deleting files (each process uses different directories although the files are identically named). My machine is a Dell XPS quad core. Have tried configuring the processors setting on VMWare various ways to allow Ubuntu to use separate processors / cores for each process. The problem I am seeing is that the system commands are not correctly performed: eg. the file copy creates empty files in the new location and does not delete the originals. but it works sometimes.

When I configured the processors to have 2 processors with 1 core each - top command showed two processors but the unwanted behaviour was still evident.

Any help appreciated. The jobs I am trying to run are very time consuming and it would be great if I could utilise the available processing power.

/proc/cpuinfo shows all available cores
    many thanks
    Last edited by jeannief; August 10th, 2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: additional information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: VMWare Multi Core not functioning Correctly?

Moved to Virtualization.

Beans

Hi

I am new to this forum and having some trouble navigating: can't find this
    under Virtualisation.

j

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jeannief View Post
    Hi,

I am using Ubuntu 11.10 under VMWare Workstation 8. I have several process running each of which periodically needs to perform system commands such as copying and deleting files (each process uses different directories although the files are identically named). My machine is a Dell XPS quad core. Have tried configuring the processors setting on VMWare various ways to allow Ubuntu to use separate processors / cores for each process. The problem I am seeing is that the system commands are not correctly performed: eg. the file copy creates empty files in the new location and does not delete the originals. but it works sometimes.
    Processors are not really relevant to problems with copying whether in a VM or not.

Explain what you are trying to do in some detail and you might get some assistance.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way