Thread: Help me select the right distro

Beans

Help me select the right distro

Hi,

I keep trying various Linux distros and learning new things. It has always been a great fun. I want to download and try some Linux distros that have been created to serve a particular audience ie security people, server admins etc.

Here at this below given page of the famous Distrowatch website, there is a search facility which helps you find the exact kind of Linux distro you want. Here is the page.

http://distrowatch.com/search.php

On this page, there is a search facility that you can use using various filters such as OS type, distribution category.....status.

I want to download the distros that are easy to use and really efficient/popular based strictly on the following criteria/filters.

OS Type - Linux only

Distribution type (5 only) - Firewall, Forensics, Rescue, Security and Thin Client

All I want you to do is using the above 2 criteria ie Linux as the OS Type and Distribution types (5 mentioned above), suggest me some good Linux distros from each of the 5 Distribution types.

Thanks.
    Last edited by tech291083; August 11th, 2012 at 04:49 PM.

Beans

Re: Help me select the right distro

Windows has it all and more. If youre looking for a free OS then go with Ubuntu.

Last edited by CrocoDuck; August 10th, 2012 at 07:20 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CrocoDuck View Post
    Hi,

Thanks a lot. You seem to have gone through all the 5 distribution categories that I am interested in namely Firewall, Forensics, Rescue, Security and Thin Client. A good reply indeed.

Friends, if I have confused you in any manner then here is what I want to do. Here is the list of all distros belonging to the 5 above mentioned distribution types namely Firewall, Forensics, Rescue, Security and Thin Client taken from that Distrowatch web site. Please suggest me the ones from each type that I should download and install in order to learn something. Thanks.

Firewall distros.........

1. Alpine Linux
    2. Astaro Security Gateway
    3. CensorNet
    4. ClearOS
    5. Coyote Linux
    6. Devil-Linux
    7. Endian Firewall
    8. Gibraltar Firewall
    9. IPCop Firewall
    10. IPFire
    11. O-Net
    12. Phayoune Secure Linux
    13. redWall Firewall
    14. Securepoint Security Suite
    15. SmoothWall Express
    16. Untangle Gateway
    17. Vyatta
    18. Zeroshell

Forensics distros.........

1. BackBox Linux
    2. BackTrack
    3. CAINE
    4. DEFT Linux
    5. Matriux
    6. NetSecL OS
    7. Swift Linux

Rescue distros......

1. AUSTRUMI

2. BackBox Linux
    3. BackTrack
    4. Finnix
    5. paldo GNU/Linux
    6. Plop Linux
    7. RIPLinuX
    8. SystemRescueCd
    9. Trinity Rescue Kit
    10. Ubuntu Rescue Remix

Security distros.......

1. Alpine Linux
    2. BackBox Linux
    3. BackTrack
    4. ClearOS
    5. Liberté Linux
    6. Lightweight Portable Security
    7. NetSecL OS
    8. Network Security Toolkit
    9. Openwall GNU/*/Linux
    10. Pentoo
    11. Tails
    12. Wifislax
    13. Zentyal

Thin client distos.....

1. 2X ThinClientOS
    2. AbulÉdu
    3. Joli OS
    4. K12Linux
    5. Skolelinux
    6. Thinstation
    7. Userful Desktop

Some of them seem to overlap. Sorry about that as the filter works that way. Thanks.
    Last edited by howefield; August 28th, 2016 at 06:54 PM. Reason: posts combined.

A man with one watch knows what time it is,
    a man with two watches is never quite sure.

If you want to learn Linux, install slackware.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Habitual View Post

I have used a few popular Linux distros already namely Ubuntu, Fedora, openSuse, Debian and a few more as mentioned in my previous threads. I am comfortable using them now and want to try something beyond the normal desktop OS stuff and thus I want to try some purpose specific distros as mentioned in this thread of mine. Thanks. Please suggest me something.

Quote Originally Posted by tech291083 View Post
    ...I am comfortable using them now and want to try something beyond the normal desktop OS stuff ...
    If you've used "Ubuntu, Fedora, openSuse, Debian" the next logical step is to install Slackware IMO.

and Security is a Process, not a packaged Distro category.

Good Luck.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans

Security is a Process, not a packaged Distro category.
    Indeed, I would agree that the best process is to select a solid distro and work from there. Slackware certainly comes to mind and with Slackware 14 ready in the next few weeks this would be an excellent starting point.

Beans

A man with one watch knows what time it is,
    a man with two watches is never quite sure.

This ^^. Listen to Habitual. My recommendation is funtoo / gentoo for learning. But, the principle is similar.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tech291083 View Post
    Friends, if I have confused you in any manner then here is what I want to do. Here is the list of all distros belonging to the 5 above mentioned distribution types namely Firewall, Forensics, Rescue, Security and Thin Client taken from that Distrowatch web site. Please suggest me the ones from each type that I should download and install in order to learn something. Thanks.
    I guess I am confused by what you expect to "learn" from this. Your goal of "learn something" is quite ambiguous. Are you setting up a firewall box? If so, then pfsense, endian and untangle are all excellent, but if you're not going to use them as a firewall, what are you expecting to learn? SystemrescueCD is an excellent recovery tool, but you don't "install" it.

If you want to learn the purpose behind these various projects, you'd be far better served by visiting each of the projects' web sites and doing some reading. Once you understand the purpose and function of a particular "specialty" project, then you'll know if it is something suited to your needs.
    Last edited by Rumor; August 14th, 2012 at 07:08 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.