Thread: Help Removing Need for USB Key

Cool Help Removing Need for USB Key

I installed Linux Mint 13 KDE recently to try it out (although this is probably irrelevant to the problem) by creating a bootable flash drive, and it installed fine. However, now it requires a USB key on startup (the flash drive I used to install it to the system from). I do not remember checking a box in Ubiquity for this (or if there even is one), or going out of my to make this happen.

Is there a way to remove the need for a USB key to startup, or do I have to reinstall the distro?

To explain what happens now, if I turn the computer on without the key inserted, I have the option to load the BIOS before it automatically goes to a black screen with a blinking _ (underscore), where none of the keyboard buttons seem to have any effect.
    When I do it WITH the flash drive in, it boots normally (I have it set to let me choose what device to boot from), but I want it so I can choose what OS to boot from without having the key inserted.

Sorry if there is a similar thread, but I couldn't find one. Thanks in advance for the help.

Beans

Re: Help Removing Need for USB Key

Not an ubuntu support request. Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I agree, mint is based on Ubuntu, the solution is common to both systems.

When you get to partitioning make sure your bootloader is installed on sda, not the flash drive.

Edit:
    You should be able to fix the problem by removing the flash drive, once booted, and do an update-grub.
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; August 10th, 2012 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    I agree, mint is based on Ubuntu, the solution is common to both systems.
    Thank you. I got a warning for saying that I believed it was irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    When you get to partitioning make sure your bootloader is installed on sda, not the flash drive.

Edit:
    You should be able to fix the problem by removing the flash drive, once booted, and do an update-grub.
    That worked, thanks for your help. Glad I could find someone who would give a useful response to my thread, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate that.
    Last edited by PugnaciousPhlebotomist; August 11th, 2012 at 04:05 AM.