Thread: Unable to save file on network share

Beans

Unable to save file on network share

Maybe somebody can explain this and offer options.

Setup: Kubuntu 12.10 with Samba shares
    Desktop: Kubuntu 11.04

With a file browser I can browse the shares open\access. But when I for example open a Document with LibreOffice on the share it opens with a filename like 1234.0.Actualfilename. Then if I try to save it only saves the file as a temp file with the indicated filename, or sometimes it will just use the numerical portion like 1234.0.doc and saves to /var/tmp/kde-cache-username/krun If I save as the same filename to the local machine I can then xfer it and overwrite it on the share.

I can create a new file on the share then name it without any issues.

Doing the same thing from Win7 I have no issues. Open the document, edit it, saves fine in the shared folder.

I have read something about the shares need to be mounted, even though they appear mapped in my Places, they aren't really mounted thus not really accessible? Apparently some have solved it with "gigolo" and automount? But that seems like a lot of extra effort for something so simple, or am I asking for too much convenience?

So what are the options for simple ubuntu to ubuntu shared access from a GUI? Using filezilla and FTP to browse and save, or automount options???

Last edited by megamister; August 10th, 2012 at 06:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unable to save file on network share

I guess the problem is that not every application can work with shares. For example, I never got Amarok to play music over the KDE Samba sharing, while it plays well when the shares are actually mounted.

Beans

I use the same Libreoffice in Win7 with no issues.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by megamister View Post
    Maybe somebody can explain this and offer options.

With a file browser I can browse the shares open\access. But when I for example open a Document with LibreOffice on the share it opens with a filename like 1234.0.Actualfilename. Then if I try to save it only saves the file as a temp file with the indicated filename, or sometimes it will just use the numerical portion like 1234.0.doc and saves to /var/tmp/kde-cache-username/krun If I save as the same filename to the local machine I can then xfer it and overwrite it on the share.

I can create a new file on the share then name it without any issues.

Doing the same thing from Win7 I have no issues. Open the document, edit it, saves fine in the shared folder.

I have read something about the shares need to be mounted, even though they appear mapped in my Places, they aren't really mounted thus not really accessible? Apparently some have solved it with "gigolo" and automount? But that seems like a lot of extra effort for something so simple, or am I asking for too much convenience?

So what are the options for simple ubuntu to ubuntu shared access from a GUI? Using filezilla and FTP to browse and save, or automount options???

I don't use KDE but I believe the problem is in how the share is mounted. I believe the KDE file manager uses gvfs to mount the share. This gvfs mount uses an arbitrary set of options. The option that is not used is nbrl. The description in the man page (man mount.cifs) is this:
    Code:
         nobrl
               Do not send byte range lock requests to the server. This is
               necessary for certain applications that break with cifs style
               mandatory byte range locks (and most cifs servers do not yet
               support requesting advisory byte range locks).
    If you mount the share either by script or using fstab with this option then you should be able to use LibreOffice directly on the file. I have this very set up but with Gnome. LibreOffice and Samba don't really play well together.
    -BAB1

Beans

Dump Samba and use NFS if you're trying to share files from a *nix server to a *nix client. I have no problems with file on NFS-mounted shares and Open/LibreOffice.

Samba is not a solution; it's a kludge to let *nix machines work with Windows clients. Unless you need to support Windows clients, there's no reason to run Samba. If you need to support both Windows and *nix, you can share the same directories with both Samba and NFS.

Beans

Yes I need support for Win boxes.
    I think I read that modifying Fstab is no longer an option for automounting in this type of case, can't remember the justification.

But I may look into the NFS as an option.

What is your opinion of NFS vs an FTP client like filezilla for transferring?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by megamister View Post
    Yes I need support for Win boxes. I think I read that modifying Fstab is no longer an option for automounting in this type of case, can't remember the justification.
    I don't think that's true. Follow the steps here to mount the share as type "cifs."

What is your opinion of NFS vs an FTP client like filezilla for transferring?
    I don't see them as especially comparable. An NFS mount provides continuous access to the share at a mount point just as if the files were on your local drive. If you're talking about access to the share from outside your network over the Internet, then you want to use a secure protocol like SFTP or SCP. Alternatively you can use SSH to mount the share as type sshfs.