Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brother DCP-7065 DN how do I install it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Brother DCP-7065 DN successful install

Quote Originally Posted by pdc View Post
    that's very kind of you aNovitiate: delighted it is all working for you ... you have the hardware and do the hard work on your computer so your learning is really helpful for all........ I must bookmark what worked for you.

Enjoy!

............oh.......if you can mark the thread SOLVED....the moderators like that.........only you can do it ..........
    Unless I misunderstand, the original poster already marked the thread 'Solved'. I looked up and down and so no way for me to makr the thread 'Solved'.

I was very careful in writing up my findings - so that all others might benefit.

Many Thanks again.

Beans

Re: Brother DCP-7065 DN how do I install it?

you're right again! You didn't initiate the thread.......but it should have all that is needed in it now to solve for all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Simple Scan suggestion

It would be neat (i.e. a LOT easier), if one could specify a network (ethernet) scanner IP from Simple Scan (Document | Preferences) or xSane, rather than having to remember (look up) to specify the ethernet scanner location via a terminal command, like:
    brsaneconfig4 -a name=DCP-7065DN model=DCP7065DN ip=192.168.1.201

For instance, a little Simple Scan Document | Preferences dialog box, asking for:

• name:
    • model:
    • IP:

It seems like the primary purpose of the brsaneconfigX command is to specify the scanner ethernet IP address, as the drivers are/were already installed and network capable, except that they couldn't locate the scanner (IP).

Beans

keen to implement changes at xsane and simple scan

well here is the contact at xsane

http://www.xsane.org/xsane-contact.html

and here is the team that look after Simple Scan

https://launchpad.net/~elementary-si...can-maintainer

much of linux is organic; ......it happens because folks do things....

.......contact these folks...........report back when you get some results..

Beans

Greetings. I'm on 12.04 and I went through this process, installed the correct drivers and the scanner program does recognize my DCP7065DN When I hit scan it tells me

"Failed to scan
    Unable to start scan"

Any idea what's happening?

dpkg -l | grep Brother
    ii brother-udev-rule-type1 1.0.0-1 Brother udev rule type 1
    ii brscan-skey 0.2.4-1 Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
    ii brscan4 0.4.1-6 Brother Scanner Driver
    ii cupswrapperdcp110c:i386 1.0.2-3 Brother DCP110C CUPS wrapper driver
    ii cupswrapperdcp7065dn:i386 2.0.4-2 Brother DCP7065DN CUPS wrapper driver
    ii dcp110clpr:i386 1.0.2-1 Brother lpr Inkjet Printer Definitions
    ii dcp7065dnlpr:i386 2.1.0-1 Brother DCP-7065DN LPR driver
    ii printer-driver-ptouch 1.3-3ubuntu0.1 printer driver Brother P-touch label printers

XSANE says
    "Failed to start scanner: Invalid argument"
    Last edited by vap1485; October 18th, 2013 at 11:52 PM.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Brother DCP-7065 DN how do I install it?

Thank you, aNovitiate. Your instructions were clear, helpful, and just excellent!

I would add two things, though.

One, for me, while the LPR .deb file worked exactly as you described, I could not get the CUPS driver to install via the Software Center. For some reason, it never completed installing. I had to install it manually, using the Brother CLI instructions as follow:

dpkg -i --force-all (cupswrapper-drivername)

For me that was as follows:
    dpkg -i --force-all cupswrapperDCP7065DN-2.0.4-2.i386.deb

Second, when I re-added the printer, under the connections section, I opted for the “LPN Network Printer DNS-SD.” I am not certain that was the best choice, but it works for me. If there was a smarter option, please feel encouraged to let me know.

Again, thank you for taking the time to document your procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by aNovitiate View Post
    ... some, hopefully, helpful clarifications:

When I first discovered the Brother DCP7065 Linux drivers page:
    http://http://welcome.solutions.brot...tml#DCP-7065DN
    I was unsure as to whether to use the CUPS or LPR driver. I thought that only the CUPS driver was necessary ... and experienced the same as the first post i.e. the printer lit up but didn't print.

When I downloaded and installed the second (LPR) driver ... and re-ADD'd the printer, it printed the Test Page. Yea !

btw, all I had to do to install each of those drivers was:

• double-click on the downloaded .deb file
    • which opened the Ubuntu Software Center
    • which, after maybe 5 seconds, provided the "Install" button (top-right) ...

During that install, it pops a dialog box, saying "The Package is of bad quality" etc. However, it offers a 'Ignore and Install' button, which I clicked ... and the install completed, just fine. I figured it was 'ok' to 'Ignore and Install', since those .deb's were posted by Brother.

My DCP-7065DN is installed via an ethernet connection, rather than just USB. Nevertheless, the twin CUPS/LPR drivers worked just fine, thank you very much.

I deleted my previous DCP-7065DN printer in "Printers" ... and re-added it.

Wait ~10 seconds after clicking "Add ..." before clicking "> Network Printer" (left-column) - to give it a chance to 'see' your DCP-7065DN and its IP address.

"Add ... printer" recognized a "Brother" printer and displayed the models list box. The newly-added (driver) DCP-7065DN choice was at the top of the list. Before adding the LPR driver (i.e. with only the CUPS driver) the DCP-7065DN choice was not labeled "recommended". After adding the LPR driver, the DCP-7065DN choice was labeled "recommended" ... and the ensuing "Test Page" print worked. Yabadabadoo !
    Last edited by fscacl; February 16th, 2014 at 05:30 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

Brother DCP-7065DN on a 64-bit system

I was trying to get a Brother DCP-7065DN working via USB on a 64-bit Ubuntu 13.10 (saucy) system, and didn't have any luck with the above instructions. The scanner simply was not found when I used the drivers that Brother links from their product page:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...s=128&type2=-1

Eventually, I came across this other page, which has 64-bit packages:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...n.html#brscan4

I purged the i386 scanner packages and installed the 64-bit brscan4 and scan-key-tool debs. I might have rebooted after that (I don't remember for sure) but I don't think so. The scanner was then detected and worked just fine.

Why Brother pushes their 32-bit drivers (even to the point of telling users to manually install 32-bit support libraries) on 64-bit systems is beyond me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Brother DCP-7065DN on a 64-bit system

I agree with you. To my knowledge, there are no 64 bit printer drivers but there are 64 bit scanner drivers. It's all rather a mish-mash and Brother rather clearly expects users to install from the command line. They have released a new installer script - 2.0.0.5 I think - that installs printer and scanner drivers. The installer script doesn't fix the two issues related to the "scanner not found" type error messages to my knowledge though. I think I understand why Brother prefers the command line install, one set of instructions covers most distros & desktops. It can be a little intimidating to beginners though.
    Last edited by kurt18947; March 12th, 2014 at 03:30 PM.

Beans

Ironically Im the original poster of this thread and now when I upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 I went ahead and did the following:

I went to this link: http://support.brother.com/g/b/downl...5dn_all&os=128

1) Installed the Driver Install tool

the printer worked but the scanner DID NOT

so I went ahead and installed the:
    2) Scan-key-tool 64bit (deb package)

and I can load up xsane but when I press "scan" I get a message saying "Invalid Argument"

I tried using the program gscan and I get the same "Invalid Argument" message

Edit: Xsane doesnt work no matter how many times I press scan
    Gscan works but I have to press "scan" twice the first time the "Invalid argument" appears the second time it scans fine!!

what can I do to resolve this???
    Last edited by izquierdista; April 29th, 2014 at 03:39 AM. Reason: added information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I believe you're using a USB connection? If so, you need to do two steps. The first is here:

http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/li...rect=on#f00101

The second is here:

http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/li...&redirect=on#6

I have Brother MFDs installed on a couple 14.04 gnome installs and as long as I make the above changes everything works. On that same FAQ page are questions about scan-key. I have little experience with scan-key so am of no help there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast