Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Internet connection randomly drops off.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    19

    Internet connection randomly drops off.

    Hi all,

    first post on this forum, first of many I presume! I'm brand new to Linux and am using wubi to trial out Ubuntu. As the title bar says, my internet connection keeps dropping off at random. It's so frustrating. Its not Firefox because I installed Chromium as well and that was the same. Its not my router either because I am watching youtube on my Vita which isn't dropping when it happens.

    The connection seems to me a bit slow anyway but it drops and times out randomly even though the wireless is on. I also have an IP address I can see using ifconfig when the connection drops. I kept having to go back onto windows to look for help but help in the Linux world seems so specific to each individual case.

    I have deleted the wireless connection and manually added it and so far (20mins) it hasn't dropped. I'm on ubuntu right now is there anything I can do / check if it keeps happening?

    Thanks,
    Alan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Closer Than You Think
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Internet connection randomly drops off. Please help.

    This may be more info than you need but it may help, when asking for help.

    http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/check-n...nection-linux/

    Good luck
    What keeps the world in chains but your beliefs?
    And what can save the world except your Self?
    Belief is powerful indeed.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    14,731
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Internet connection randomly drops off. Please help.

    Hi, copy and paste this command in the terminal (ctrl+alt+t) please:
    Code:
    wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/netscript.sh && chmod +x netscript.sh && ./netscript.sh
    It will download a script and create a text file in your home folder with wireless information so we can see the condition of your wireless at this time and the Mac address, WPA key and WEP key are removed for your security, then reply back and attach the netinfo.txt file.
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    19

    Re: Internet connection randomly drops off. Please help.

    Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi, copy and paste this command in the terminal (ctrl+alt+t) please:
    Code:
    wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/netscript.sh && chmod +x netscript.sh && ./netscript.sh
    It will download a script and create a text file in your home folder with wireless information so we can see the condition of your wireless at this time and the Mac address, WPA key and WEP key are removed for your security, then reply back and attach the netinfo.txt file.
    Thanks
    Hi, I did what you asked, the file is attached. I had to compress it as it was too big to upload.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    19

    Re: Internet connection randomly drops off. Please help.

    Quote Originally Posted by acimi66 View Post
    This may be more info than you need but it may help, when asking for help.

    http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/check-n...nection-linux/

    Good luck
    Thanks, will be useful for troubleshooting.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    14,731
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Internet connection randomly drops off. Please help.

    Hi, change your wireless settings in network manager to match the screenshots, then do:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8192ce.conf
    A new empty file will open, paste this one line into the file.

    Code:
    options rtl8192ce swenc=1
    Proofread, save and close gedit.

    Also go into your router settings and change 802.11bgn to 802.11bg.
    Reboot
    Thanks
    Last edited by Wild Man; February 10th, 2013 at 06:56 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    19

    Re: Internet connection randomly drops off. Please help.

    Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi, change your wireless settings in network manager to match the screenshots, then do:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8192ce.conf
    A new empty file will open, paste this one line into the file.

    Code:
    options rtl8192ce swenc=1
    Proofread, save and close gedit.

    Also go into your router settings and change 802.11bgn to 802.11bg.
    Reboot
    Thanks
    Thanks, I will try that.

    ps. my wireless card is 'Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC', I see you put the option in the conf file as rtl8192ce. Don't know if that is important or not.

    Cheers,
    Alan

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    14,731
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Internet connection randomly drops off. Please help.

    Hi, this is the driver that is loaded for your wireless card rtl8192ce.
    Thanks

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    19

    Re: Internet connection randomly drops off. Please help.

    Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi, this is the driver that is loaded for your wireless card rtl8192ce.
    Thanks
    I see. I have been on FireFox all day with no timeouts so i guess its working now. Thanks very much, your a hero!

    Cheers,
    Alan

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    14,731
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Internet connection randomly drops off. Please help.

    Your welcome!
    Enjoy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •