Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Running Ubuntu 12.04 on a 2012 MacBook Air (5,2)

Beans

Re: Running Ubuntu 12.04 on a 2012 MacBook Air (5,2)

Is there a "how-to" planned for the installation process for Ubuntu 12.10 ? This would be very helpful.

Beans

Hi guys, first thing thank you for sharing, this thread saved me a lot of time (:

I have a 5,2 MBA and everything works fine, BUT I'm experiencing tons of kernel panics - I would say one every two hours and then I have to force the machine to shutdown by holding the power button (both keyboard and mouse/trackpad are completely unresponsive)

• Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP
    • It doesn't look related to any specific program, last time it happend I was working on Emacs only (although I haven't tried to change DE yet)
    • There are no error messages on /var/log/syslog of any kind
    • The suspend function works falwlessly

This behaviour is so frustrating though. Has anyone experienced the same issue? Any ideas about what I could look for?

Thank you!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by laurids View Post
    Hi guys, first thing thank you for sharing, this thread saved me a lot of time (:

I have a 5,2 MBA and everything works fine, BUT I'm experiencing tons of kernel panics - I would say one every two hours and then I have to force the machine to shutdown by holding the power button (both keyboard and mouse/trackpad are completely unresponsive)

• Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP
    • It doesn't look related to any specific program, last time it happend I was working on Emacs only (although I haven't tried to change DE yet)
    • There are no error messages on /var/log/syslog of any kind
    • The suspend function works falwlessly

This behaviour is so frustrating though. Has anyone experienced the same issue? Any ideas about what I could look for?

Thank you!
    Do you have the noapic option enabled in grub when booting?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NickGarvey View Post
    Do you have the noapic option enabled in grub when booting?
    Thank you for you reply (:

Yep, I have noapic enabled. Those are my grub options though:

Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash noapic i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 resume="

Beans

Thank you Scot and everyone else for such a detailed and well written post.

I think this information should be added to the ubuntu wiki/documentation page like the ones below

Installing Ubuntu on Macbook Air 4,2 -- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookAir4-2

and then it should be linked on to the main Macbook Air page -- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookAir

- kay

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by laurids View Post
    Thank you for you reply (:

Yep, I have noapic enabled. Those are my grub options though:

Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash noapic i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 resume="
    Please report here if you find a fix. This affects me too :/

I'm updating to 12.10 to see if a new kernel helps. I will keep you posted.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sgarman View Post
    At this point you should be able to boot into 12.04 (TODO: you still need to hold down the Alt key when powering the system on, I need to find out how to make it boot into Ubuntu automatically).
    You can set the default start-up volume by pressing Control-click on an arrow under the volume.

Reference:
    http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...80919150504866

Beans

Also, on my Air, the trackpad stopped moving after resuming from S3 suspend. This seems to be fixed by adding the touchpad driver to the power management snippet from the setup script:

Code:
    echo "Fixing post-hibernate hang."
    sudo tee -a /etc/pm/config.d/macbookair_fix <<-EOF
    	# The following brings back eth0 after suspend when using the apple usb-ethernet adapter.
    	SUSPEND_MODULES="asix usbnet bcm5974"
    EOF

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi, I am using this as a guide for installing Ubuntu 12.10 on a Macbook Air mid-2012 - thank you, it's amazing!

However, somewhere along the line with the changes to the wireless module it stopped working and I can't get it back again. I've taken the obvious steps to reverse what I did:
    • Deleted the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-bcma.conf file
    • Uninstalled (purged) the broadcom-sta-dkms package and removed ppaoliva/pof from my sources.
    • Used Software Sources to install the propriety bcmwl-kernel-source driver

...but it still doesn't work. No other way to get on the net with this machine (I don't have ethernet at home) - help please!

EDIT: I gather the problems with the binary driver are basically fixed in 12.10, based on this post: http://pof.eslack.org/2012/05/23/why...how-to-fix-it/ so there was no need for me to apply the changes anyway... but I have now, so...
    Last edited by N2G(bn#7+; November 20th, 2012 at 03:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by erlandh View Post
    Hi, I am using this as a guide for installing Ubuntu 12.10 on a Macbook Air mid-2012 - thank you, it's amazing!

However, somewhere along the line with the changes to the wireless module it stopped working and I can't get it back again. I've taken the obvious steps to reverse what I did:
    • Deleted the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-bcma.conf file
    • Uninstalled (purged) the broadcom-sta-dkms package and removed ppaoliva/pof from my sources.
    • Used Software Sources to install the propriety bcmwl-kernel-source driver

...but it still doesn't work. No other way to get on the net with this machine (I don't have ethernet at home) - help please!

EDIT: I gather the problems with the binary driver are basically fixed in 12.10, based on this post: http://pof.eslack.org/2012/05/23/why...how-to-fix-it/ so there was no need for me to apply the changes anyway... but I have now, so...
    So it's fixed?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast