Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Running Ubuntu 12.04 on a 2012 MacBook Air (5,2)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Running Ubuntu 12.04 on a 2012 MacBook Air (5,2)

other persons experiencing problems with the opensource driver? Doesn't seem to work very well.

Also, are other people experiencing very poor standby time? It's like 15% overnight.

Beans

Hi all, any luck with getting an external monitor to work?

Won't work on my VGA output to a monitor at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The only think I did not follow in this post is replacing the native wifi driver. When I used the STA driver, my checking of my overall wifi speed was less than half than it was with the "native" driver. I reversed that change. Also, install pommed after adding the extra repos. My Fn keys would not work without it.

Awesome info here and below where you can run Ubuntu off of the SD card or USB and not touch your internal drive at all. I would suggest an SD card, no lower than class 10, or use a usb 3.0 flash drive that is capable of 50 MB/s write times. Patriot makes one that is of decent small size.

http://michaelevans.org/blog/2013/01...r-macbook-air/

I was helping out with some of the info and especially the resume from suspend read-only issue, so follow the tweak you have to do with fstab in order for resume/suspend to work. It will resume from suspend without the tweak BUT with a read-only root file system.

If anyone knows a better workaround for the root USB/SD device gets flagged with an inconsistency on suspend whereby on resume, it is marked read-only because of the created inconsistency, that would be grand. Right now, the errors=continue in fstab for the root device (rather than errors=remount-ro) seems to be a way of ignoring the error, rather than dealing with it. Keep in mind if you do NOT do this tweak, you will not even be able to do "mount -o remount,rw /" to get the system writable again. It doesn't work and only rebooting lets you do much of anything about it.

Other than that, if one follows this post and the one I linked, you will have a decent working system from an external device. I would make sure that all vital data is NOT kept on the root device and on another drive or on a separate partition (other devices seem to remount properly) until this issue is truly resolved. I seem to be working fine with it but obviously, it has not been found whether it issue is just a quirk or if it could leave your file system in a bad state.

The external device is still slow to respond until a few things are used. I.e. the FN brightness seems to take a few clicks then it finally responds and then responds well. I think it would be better with one of the newer USB 3.0 faster drives. Most of the ones that say USB 3.0 are not so stick with a name brand that publishes the write speeds. My SD is only 20 MB/s
    Last edited by maestrobwh1; April 13th, 2013 at 12:12 AM.

Beans

Howdy all, I'm having an issue with my touchpad being unresponsive on restart or cold boot (12.04 on MBA 5,2). Here's my reproduction steps.

1. Restart computer.
    2. At login screen, touchpad is unresponsive. I need to plug in my USB mouse, which works fine.
    3. Log in, touchpad still unresponsive.
    4. Log out, touchpad is now responsive and works fine on login screen.
    5. Log in, touchpad is now responsive and works fine.

What can I do to troubleshoot this? Obviously some driver isn't getting loaded correctly on boot, but then gets re-loaded fine on logout. What log files can I look at to try and track down where this is occurring?

I'd prefer not to have to log out and log in everytime I boot up my computer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123