Thread: How To Get Firefox Updates For 10.04 After End of Support

Beans

How To Get Firefox Updates For 10.04 After End of Support

Support for my 10.04 will end in April. Is there a way to
    get Firefox updates/ upgrades after official Ubuntu
    support for 10.04 ends? Will they still be available from launchpad's ppa?

I intend to keep 10.04 after support ends if Firefox
    can be kept up to date.

Beans

Re: How To Get Firefox Updates For 10.04 After End of Support

You could try the Ubuntuzilla script - http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...itle=Main_Page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Although you may be able to continue getting support for Firefox, it is still risky running an outdated OS.

Once 10.04 reaches end of life you leave yourself wide open to any new security flaws and exploits that are discovered. There is a chance that your system could be compromised with ease.

Do you have any particular reason for wanting to stay with 10.04 instead of switching to 12.04 (which is supported until 2017).
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I agree with Cheesemill. If you don't like Unity, you can always have a look at Linux Mint with Cinnamon.

By April, 2014, there may be other wonderful options, such as Xubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I would like to reiterate Charley Horse's original question, but update it to 11.04.

I have already tried 11.10 and 12.04. I found Unity so disagreeable that I uninstalled 12.04 and went back to 11.04! And I'm staying here. Needless to say, this was a hassle.

I will be moving to Mint, but not necessarily on this PC. I would very much like to know how to restore the normal Firefox and Thunderbird 'Check for Updates' menu options. Canonical has for some reason decided to remove these.

So now I have an OS which I can't update (to one which I consider usable), no available support updates, and no way of updating my most frequently used applications.

For someone who used XP for years and mostly ignored the Microsoft updates but kept Firefox and T'bird (and Open Office) up to date, this seems a very strange and frustrating circumstance.

I would upgrade to 12.04... if I thought it was an upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can download the latest firefox from www.getfirefox.com, extract the package and run the binary inside. If you want you can properly install it. It would be best though to quickly move on to a supported version. Many who didn't like Unity moved to mint or Xubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by J-mz View Post
    I would very much like to know how to restore the normal Firefox and Thunderbird 'Check for Updates' menu options. Canonical has for some reason decided to remove these.
    They were never present in the Ubuntu edition of Firefox, for obvious reasons (you would need to run Firefox as root in order to update it). If you download upstream Firefox you'll get them.

I would upgrade to 12.04... if I thought it was an upgrade.
    Just because Unity is the default, does not suddenly make it the only desktop environment available on Ubuntu. Every desktop available in 11.04 is still available in 12.04. Gnome 2 is available under the name MATE, which can be installed via PPA.

That way you'll get the (archaic, IMHO) desktop environment you love, with four more years of support for the underlying software. And later software, too.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.