Thread: Can't Launch Gnome Desktop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Can't Launch Gnome Desktop

OK, I give up! I've installed 12.04, installed Gnome Desktop, can't start it, Reinstalled 12.04, installed Gnome Desktop, can't start it, can't find any info on how to make it work.

I've installed the Gnome Desktop from the Software Center. It appears to have no effect.

When I restart, there is only the DisUnity(tm) login, no choices for Gnome at all.

How do I start up in Gnome!?!
    Last edited by RogerDavis; August 9th, 2012 at 03:03 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can't Launch Gnome Desktop

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDavis View Post
    I've installed the Gnome Desktop from the Software Center. It appears to have no effect.

When I restart, there is only the DisUnity(tm) login, no choices.

At the login screen, click the little gear icon, and select gnome-shell.

Beans

OK, I give up! I've installed 12.04, installed Gnome Desktop, can't start it, Reinstalled 12.04, installed Gnome Desktop, can't start it, can't find any info on how to make it work.

I searched in the software center for "Gnome Desktop" and found nothing. What are you trying to install? I suspect you want Gnome Shell? Search for that and install it.

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    At the login screen, click the little gear icon, and select gnome-shell.
    That's going to confuse him and any other newbie visiting here as there is no such option. There is an option simply named "GNOME" (which starts Gnome Shell). And he will only see that option if he installs it as I say above.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Can't Launch Gnome Desktop in Ubuntu 12.04

I installed "The Gnome Desktop Environment, with extra components". The Gnome Shell must have been part of that, because it is checked as installed.

To find what I installed, just type "Gnome" in the search box, with "All Software" selected. What I installed is the first choice shown.

There is no "gear" at all on the log on screen. If I click the "gear" after logging in, there are no selections for Gnome at all.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I got it!!

What he meant is an odd looking cirle, not the gear. I had to click it twice, but now it's working.

Beans

I got it!!
    What he meant is an odd looking cirle, not the gear. I had to click it twice, but now it's working.
    It used to be a gear icon but was changed with 12.04 to the round Ubuntu "Circle of Friends" logo. But it still looks similar to a gear icon Roger!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    There is an option simply named "GNOME" (which starts Gnome Shell). And he will only see that option if he installs it as I say above.

Anyone who can't deduce that "Gnome" means "Gnome" is probably missing a few (which the OP does not appear to be), especially as "Gnome Shell" is simply another term for "Gnome". But hey.
    And if "gnome desktop" really doesn't exist there's no way he could have installed it in the first place, as his first post says. Just sayin'.

I got it!!

Glad you found it. I guess I haven't paid enough attention to my 12.04 login screen to realize that it was a circle, not a gear.
    Mark as [SOLVED], if you would, using the thread tools in the upper right. Good luck!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    Anyone who can't deduce that "Gnome" means "Gnome" is probably missing a few (which the OP does not appear to be), especially as "Gnome Shell" is simply another term for "Gnome".
    Except when anybody installs gnome shell on Ubuntu they get "GNOME" and "GNOME Classic" menu options. So when you said "At the login screen, click the little gear icon, and select gnome-shell" it certainly is not obvious to any newbie.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    Except when anybody installs gnome shell on Ubuntu they get "GNOME" and "GNOME Classic" menu options. So when you said "At the login screen, click the little gear icon, and select gnome-shell" it certainly is not obvious to any newbie.
    Probably right. I'll know for next time, anyway.