Thread: Confused about installation and partitions.

Hybrid View

Beans

Confused about installation and partitions.

Hi,

I'm not too sure what is going on with my computer and I would like someone to let me know what all of this means. I accidently downloaded Ubuntu twice. From what I read the installation will overwrite the other installation. I downloaded both of them next to Windows 7. I've attached a photo of what gparted found. Also I have no devices hooked up to my computer but in the devices column of my window I says I have 747GB and 128GB attached to my machine. The amount of space I partitioned for one Ubuntu was 630 something or 750 total and the other was about the same, but since I overwrote it, I'm assuming there is just one partition. I just need help understanding what is going on with my computer. Any education on what I have done or what is going on would be much appreciated! Is there a way to fix what is happening here?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Confused about installation and partitions.

As you can see, that only shows windows ntfs partitions. So I guess you used wubi, not a dual boot next to windows (along side). That is not correct. Wubi installs inside windows, so you will not see linux partitions when looking at the hdd.

As for wubi, I don't use it and I have no idea what would happen if you install it twice, does it install over the old one or not. When you want to remove wubi, you do it in Programs like any other software.

If you have more than one disk, you should select in Gparted the other disk too, in the drop down box top right. The screenshot you posted shows only one 750GB hdd. And no ubuntu partitions on it.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans

Thanks for responding!

I don't think I use wubi. I simply went to the ubuntu site downloaded the iso and made a live usb with universal usb installer. I went into bios and loaded from the usb. From these methods is is still possible I used wubi? I just wanted a dual boot. Could you help me fix this dilemma and clean up my partitions?

Beans
    Distro

But did you install or you only loaded the usb in live mode (Try Ubuntu)?

Ubuntu can run in so called live mode, from the bootable cd or usb without installing anything on the hdd. When you shut down the live mode, nothing remains.

At this moment I don't see anything to "fix".

Run ubuntu again in live mode with the usb, open terminal and post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    That will show more details about your disks and partitions.
    Darko.

Beans

It's possible I only loaded the usb on live mode. I can't run from live mode right now, because I have a a few scripts running that need to process over night. Is there a way I can get you the information you need from inside live mode (if that's what I'm in). If not, I will have to get back with you either tomorrow or in a couple days. I will get to this as soon as possible.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BIAtech View Post
    It's possible I only loaded the usb on live mode. I can't run from live mode right now, because I have a a few scripts running that need to process over night. Is there a way I can get you the information you need from inside live mode (if that's what I'm in). If not, I will have to get back with you either tomorrow or in a couple days. I will get to this as soon as possible.
    I don't understand. First you say you can't run it in live mode, and then asking whether you can do it from inside live mode.

Yes, you can run that command from either live mode or from installed ubuntu, doesn't make a difference.

No problem if you can't do it right now, post it when ever you can.
    Darko.