Debian Wheezy May Ship With XFCE As The Default Desktop Environment

An interesting read this morning;

http://www.muktware.com/4087/debian-...op-environment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Debian Wheezy May Ship With XFCE As The Default Desktop Environment

Quote Originally Posted by pcybill View Post
    and Gnome3 loses yet more traction.... by this time next year gnome3 will be dead! Mhuahahahaha.... well no it will have a lot less usage than it even does now!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I never reckoned much to Xubuntu. I know XFCE is very much like Gnome 2; but if a light-weight DE is really what they're after, why not try LXDE? I have lubuntu on my ancient Asus EeePC 701 (still alive after 5 years of abuse!) and I find its LXDE to be very nice. It's unobtrusive, and it's easy to add bigger-style apps (eg vlc, gimp) if you want. Is XFCE truly light-weight any more? Stuff I've read here and there lead me to believe it's rather bloated these days.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Glad to see a distro that doesn't want to use Gnome 3 do the sensible thing and switch to XFCE...instead of all these "protest distros" out there that stick to Gnome 2, which has been dead well over a year now, thinking that it is going to somehow come back to life.
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds

Beans

Good decision methinks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    ... Is XFCE truly light-weight any more? Stuff I've read here and there lead me to believe it's rather bloated these days.
    Yes, it seems to have legs. This business about how Xfce is bloated without mentioning any details

Bit pointless.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    Is XFCE truly light-weight any more? Stuff I've read here and there lead me to believe it's rather bloated these days.
    http://blog.xfce.org/2012/05/questio...-4-10-release/

LXDE still consumes less memory

*sigh* I’m not going to rant on this because as a user you should choose the desktop that makes you happy, but anyway it annoys me a tiny bit. So just to throw some information:

LXDE and Xfce are both based on the same toolkit and provide roughly the same set of features. That as a start makes it technically almost impossible to be much better or worse regarding memory usage. I think this whole myth started by comparing two distributions (clue: strcmp (distro_a + 1, distro_b + 1) == 0).

I’m sure Xfce consumes a bit more memory, because more processes are started. Especially when external plugins are added to the panel: a design decision to make the panel more stable.

I don’t know or care where this comparison started, but if somebody does this again the the future, please compare the actual memory usage and don’t use free. Or even better: don’t compare memory usage at all because it is pretty useless.
    That said: if I start a default LXDE and Xfce 4.10 desktop (default Arch Linux packages) and use ps_mem.py, Xfce consumes 2 MiB more memory (same or desktop-equal applications are started). Do whatever you want this is number, as long as you compare apples and apples.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It "ensures that the desktop will fit on CD#1, which gnome currently does not."

My last two Squeeze installations, I went with Xfce, anyway. Seems to me that Debian is one distro where "default desktop environment" is almost meaningless.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Version Dependency View Post
    Glad to see a distro that doesn't want to use Gnome 3 do the sensible thing and switch to XFCE...instead of all these "protest distros" out there that stick to Gnome 2, which has been dead well over a year now, thinking that it is going to somehow come back to life.
    You mean much like Ubuntu with its "Unity" protest......

Debian going to Xfce would be cool. I don't think they would do it for the speed of Xfce, I think it would be for the functionality and familiarity.

Even Fedora, the biggest Gnome centric distro there is may switch to Mate, which is not all that surprising. Image Red Hat customers using Gnome shell. (LOL) If Mate is default in Fedora then that is the death knell for Gnome-Shell. Mate will for sure be in the Fedora repositories.
    True freedom requires sacrifice and pain. Most human beings only think they want freedom. In truth they yearn for the bondage of social order, rigid laws, materialism, the only freedom man really wants, is the freedom to become comfortable.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtime_Scrub View Post
    Even Fedora, the biggest Gnome centric distro there is may switch to Mate, which is not all that surprising. Image Red Hat customers using Gnome shell. (LOL) If Mate is default in Fedora then that is the death knell for Gnome-Shell.
    Who says Fedora is even considering switching to MATE as the default? By the way, I've been using GNOME Shell in Fedora 16, and it's great.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast