Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wireless for dell latitude d610

Beans

Angry wireless for dell latitude d610

I have never used the ubuntu linux operating system (or whatever you call it) in my life. I have only used windows so I have no idea how to do basically anything on this computer. I have no wireless on here though. I dont know how to get wireless internet on here. Somebody PLEASE HELP ME! and you may have to explain it like your trying to explain it to a 4 year old because I am absolutely helpless with this operating system.

Beans

Re: wireless for dell latitude d610

I have the same computer, so first have you checked the switch on the side between the hard drive and headphone jack? Make sure it is pulled towards you to enable wireless. Second on the top right of your screen next to the sound icon, tell me what you see. There should be a symbol that looks like a baseball field. Click on it and then click on "enable wireless" and "enable networking" to make sure that they are white, not grey.
    Tell me if this does the trick.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by f1ndingwalden View Post
    I have the same computer, so first have you checked the switch on the side between the hard drive and headphone jack? Make sure it is pulled towards you to enable wireless. Second on the top right of your screen next to the sound icon, tell me what you see. There should be a symbol that looks like a baseball field. Click on it and then click on "enable wireless" and "enable networking" to make sure that they are white, not grey.
    Tell me if this does the trick.
    Mine doesn't have a switch, there is just a infrared looking thing in that spot and no other wireless enabling switch anywhere on it. and i dont have that symobol either so we might be running two different versions of ubuntu

Beans

It doesn't have http://www.microcentertech.com/tech_...00092B-003.jpg on the side?

And do you know what version of Ubuntu you are running?
    If not hit the super key(the button that has the windows icon on it) to the left of the alt button on your keyboard, and type details and click the icon that comes up.

Beans

no it looks like this http://www.google.com/imgres?q=dell+...9,r:2,s:0,i:81

and nothing happened when i pressed that key but I'm fairly sure its ubuntu 11.10

confirmed 11.10
    Last edited by easye33; August 8th, 2012 at 06:37 AM. Reason: more info

Beans

Ok then got to the side and hit the top button and type "system settings" and then click on "network" and tell me what it says.

Beans

ok forget everything i have said.
    now i know how to connect to the wireless but when i try to connect it asks for a password (system policy prevents modification of network settings for all users. an application is attempting to perform an action that requires privileges. authentication as the super user is required to perform this action.) I was given this computer and told that it was wiped clean and they said nothing of a password. is there some sort of default password or something?

Beans

Its the same password you use to log in.

Beans

i didnt have a password to login but i figured it out and now am able to connect to the wifi. thank you for your help!

Beans

Awesome!
    Sorry i didn't do much though :/
    But you are going to want to find out the password for the computer, if you ever want to update or install programs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast