Thread: Any? 7zip GUI for Ultra Compress Files

Beans

Question Any? 7zip GUI for Ultra Compress Files

Hello Ubuntu Community,

As the tittle says, I would like to know any GUI to compress a whole directory which is around the 12 gb, thats why I need the ultra mode and I know 7zip is top in this situation.

Currently I'm using Ark, but it doesn't give any options to "tell the program" that I want ultra compression mode and make it use more ram (same as windows gui) and all the cores.

I wouln't want to mess with the terminal, since it is a little complicated the folder is located in a mounted partition which is ntfs and well it is a mess.

Been looking in google, it gives me nothing but console help and help opening 7zip or rar files, I was pointed to a script generator page, didn't help either thats why the last hope is a GUI already implemented.

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Any? 7zip GUI for Ultra Compress Files

As far as I know there isn't one for Ubuntu (at least no good ones with enough options). Personally, I just run the Windows version through Wine, and it works fine (same speed and everything too). You can download it from here if you'd like. It seems to have more features than any of the Linux versions...

I hate to be recommending Windows software, but as I see it there is no other good option. Even the Windows version is free and open-source, which is a plus.

Beans

PeaZip has a GUI and can make .7z archives of this size no problem ^^ it's made for windows and linux ^^ Just an alternative if you dont want t use wine for some reason xD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xillius200 View Post
    PeaZip has a GUI and can make .7z archives of this size no problem ^^ it's made for windows and linux ^^ Just an alternative if you dont want t use wine for some reason xD

Were'd you get that? 0_o

When I tried PeaZip on Linux it had FAR fewer options... Is this a newer version or did I just get the wrong one originally?

Anyways, about my first post recommending the Windows version of 7-zip, disregard that.

Beans

Smile Re: Any? 7zip GUI for Ultra Compress Files

Didn't know about 7zip running well with wine, but Hell that PeaZip GUI is a complete alternative of 7zip in windows, is exactly what I wanted, gonna search how to install it.

Thank you Guys.