Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: inotify_add_watch 12.04 (crypsetup)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: inotify_add_watch 12.04 (crypsetup)

Okay, I tried something else.

Wiped all partitions that were non-windows. Booted with the 10.10 64bit Live CD. This installation gives me the option to install onto /boot on SDA - which, surely, is correct (I am sure 12.04 only gave me the option to install onto SDB/Raid Device).

So, as always 10.10 installs fine without problems.
    Booted into 10.10, upgraded to 11.04 for the nth time. Tried to boot into 11.04 from grub, same issues - the screen just hanging. So, this time used nomodeset in the boot config and 11.04 is currently up and running.

Currently I am installing the upgrade to 11.10; I am sure I will need to use nomodeset for the remainder of the releases until there is a fix for these new video cards.

Anyway, it seems that the issue has not been to do with ehci_hcd, but all along it has been to do with my video card and the need to use nomodeset. That is probably why I have had hanging on the screen with:

Code:
    udevd-work [a]: inotify_add_watch(b, /dev/sdbc, d) no such directory
    And the screen with:

Code:
    usb 2-1.3: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address x
    ##

I hope I write this post not too soon, and maybe I should have waited until I can confirm, but it is at least a little exciting.

The upgrade to 11.10 is in progress and I will let you know what happens.

One last question: I wonder why the Live CD 12.04 would not allow to install bootloader onto SDA?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu hangs on a screen upon initialisation (nomodeset)

I am now writing this post on 12.04 64bit. This is now solved and it was all to do with my newer nVidia card.

It was never the problems that displayed on the screen that hung, rather the fact that the OS could not proceed due to nVidia drivers.

There is still a problem with:

Code:
    inotify_add_watch
    which I would like to see a solution for, as this has been a problem for years. However, this problem is merely put in the background.

There is also a question that I still have:

Why would 12.04 64bit not allow me to install the boot loader to SDA?

###

In summary, if you ever get a hanging screen try to append nomodeset to the [b]linux /boot[b] line of the grub configuration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12