Thread: video playback too fast

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

video playback too fast

I have a new Gazelle professional, running Ubuntu 12.04, i7 processor, standard system graphics.

Often, when I stream a video online (youtube), the video plays back at ~2-3 times normal speed, with the audio obviously an unintelligible gibber. It doesn't do this all the time, but I cannot locate the setting/issue which causes it. Sometimes restarting (but never simply logging out) will correct the issue for awhile, but it comes back quickly.

Oh, I'm using Chrome as the browser.

Thoughts?

Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: video playback too fast

Quote Originally Posted by driebel View Post
    I have a new Gazelle professional, running Ubuntu 12.04, i7 processor, standard system graphics.

Often, when I stream a video online (youtube), the video plays back at ~2-3 times normal speed, with the audio obviously an unintelligible gibber. It doesn't do this all the time, but I cannot locate the setting/issue which causes it. Sometimes restarting (but never simply logging out) will correct the issue for awhile, but it comes back quickly.

Oh, I'm using Chrome as the browser.

Thoughts?

Dave
    I believe this is a bug with Chrome's implementation of Flash player. You should use Chromium or Firefox until the issue is resolved upstream.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hmmm, well, that did fix the "play too fast" problem, thanks! Unfortunately, now streamed videos play in a halting, "strobe-like" manner (in both Firefox and Chromium).

Maybe a restart will clear that up...

Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by driebel View Post
    Hmmm, well, that did fix the "play too fast" problem, thanks! Unfortunately, now streamed videos play in a halting, "strobe-like" manner (in both Firefox and Chromium).

Maybe a restart will clear that up...

Dave
    Also, make sure that you have the latest flash player installed. If it isn't installed, you can find it in software center. You'll have the latest as long as your system is up to date.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

I've been having the same problem with Flash video running at 2-3x speed. Although I've associated it with upgrades to Chrome, it's happening everywhere, even in Firefox. I'm now having similar stuttering with audio (e.g., Spotify's Linux client, which had been working just fine). Restarts don't seem to help. As I write this, Spotify is working fine (wasn't this morning or yesterday) but Flash videos are still running at super speed. I think that next time things start working again I'll stop applying new system updates. 12.04 has really been unstable for me. ;0

Any ideas?

Beans

The problem of videos playing/stuttering very quickly, like a fast-forward VHS, might be solved by disabling pulseaudio.

Try pulseaudio -k in terminal. You should see all sound die for a second or two. See if the video plays correctly right after that. If that fixes it, it will probably start having issues again later. I used this guide to replace pulseaudio with the alsa audio component, and it's worked fine for me ever since. (Ubuntu 12.04)
    Last edited by bluename; October 17th, 2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: add my ub ver