Thread: Backup/restore?

Beans

Backup/restore?

Hi,

Maybe i'm missing something very fundamental, but I can't seem to find a program that will take a snapshot of my file system & let me restore it (along with all my installed programs, configs & settings, etc.) if/when my system crashes.

I've tried the following ways so far:
    1) when i try to restore from a previously archived tar file, i get an error after the grub that says:
    Code:
    Error: no such device: (UUID of a disk)
    I was advised to exclude /dev & /sys. that didnt work either.

2) when I try to restore from sbackup, it makes a small (56 KB) file in my home folder. I dont know what to do wiith this file.

3) when i try to restore from deja-dup, the screen goes blank in the middle of the restoration process. then nothing happens forever. when i reboot, the grub will have reverted to an earlier version. when i select LM13 from this outdated grub, i'll get an error that says that the kernel is missing.

4) i tried the pre-installed mint backup tool. this app will not make a successful backup. instead, it'll hang while trying to backup certain portions of /etc

Hardware info:
    Dell XPS 15,
    Intel® Core™ i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz × 4
    2 GB of RAM
    LM13 'maya' (fresh install) dual-booted with Win 7

All i want is a simple backup technique (single user, local drive backup) that will have my system up & running with all my programs & settings (without the need of an internet connection) from scratch if/when i break it. Pls help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Backup/restore?

Quote Originally Posted by treehermit View Post
    LM13 'maya' (fresh install) dual-booted with Win 7

All i want is a simple backup technique (single user, local drive backup) that will have my system up & running with all my programs & settings (without the need of an internet connection) from scratch if/when i break it. Pls help!
    This is an Ubuntu support forum, Linux Mint has its own support forums because it uses different apps and configurations which may be totally relevant to your setup.

Post your issue in the Mint forums.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Backup/restore?

Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here