Thread: Touchpad Havoc - Extra Clicks, Holding Single Click Too Long

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Touchpad Havoc - Extra Clicks, Holding Single Click Too Long

For some time -- a few versions, going back to at least 10.10 -- I've had some maddening issues with my synaptics touchpad. At seeming random moments, but most definitely after coming out of a blank screen, the touchpad stops registering clicks/taps correctly.

The following occurs:

• Single left-clicks will sometimes not register at all on the first, second, third, or fourth (or more) click/s, and then seems to register a few of them at once, thus creating general havoc. This is especially maddening when trying to simply select some media -- video or audio -- by left-clicking and dragging over the file/s and then releasing, and a split second later the machine decides I clicked on the file/s and opens them up.
    • At other times, single left-clicks will result in several rapid clicks at once, which often messes up the window/application being single-clicked on, and creating more havoc.
    • Sometimes single left-clicks (and occasional taps) result in the machine thinking I'm holding the button down, and instead of registering the click, it moves the window (as if I were hold the alt key and then left-clicking to move a window -- but it's just a left-click)
    • Sometimes just tapping the touchpad itself -- which should just register a single left-click -- brings up the menu that a right-click brings up.

I've searched on and off for a couple years now for an answer to this issue, and it didn't get any easier with the transition to Unity and the new config files. What I can confirm is:

• Disabling and re-enabling psmouse doesn't seem to make a difference.
    • It works fine in Windows XP. There are never any click issues, and the touchpad is far more responsive and accurate.
    • After a while -- 20 minutes, 2 hours, half a day, it isn't consistent -- the touchpad will start to work normally again. But after the screen goes to sleep, most likely the problems will begin again.
    • If I use a usb mouse, the problems are less consistent, but still occur -- left-click havoc.

I've looked through my xinput and synclient options, and that's all well and good, but I can't find any info on what to adjust in order to get things working right. (Finding what the different options do is no easy task, either). I can't even find info on if I can clear any of those settings out and if the OS will simply reset things.

All I want is my touchpad to work as well on my shmancy 12.04 setup as it does in my rickety 10-year-old virtual machine XP setup.

EDIT: This happens in Gnome as well, but not quite as much, and never as long as it lasts in Unity.
    Last edited by wyth; August 7th, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 13.10 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Touchpad Havoc - Extra Clicks, Holding Single Click Too Long

bump
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 13.10 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Touchpad Havoc - Extra Clicks, Holding Single Click Too Long

'nother bump