Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12.04 dont detect SATA Disks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 12.04 dont detect SATA Disks

Quote Originally Posted by alek66 View Post
    Just add it in GRUB menu.lst which can be found in /boot/grub?

Will try it this afternoon
    You can do it in the install cd (if you want to reinstall in your sata disks) or you can modify your grub parameters by modifying /etc/default/grub just in the line that contains splash and doing an update-grub command

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by albandy View Post
    You can do it in the install cd (if you want to reinstall in your sata disks) or you can modify your grub parameters by modifying /etc/default/grub just in the line that contains splash and doing an update-grub command
    Worked, installed, now after installed I get a black screen when booting.... oh dear hassle never stops.
    Last edited by alek66; August 10th, 2012 at 04:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by alek66 View Post
    Worked, installed, now after installed I get a black screen when booting.... oh dear hassle never stops.
    Hold on, what worked?

If you needed to use some parameter to get the installer to recognize the disk, you probably need to use the same parameter on first boot or even permanently.

Any parameters you set in live mode don't enter into the installation made on the hdd, they are only for live mode and temporary.

When the grub2 boot menu shows, highlight the ubuntu entry and hit 'e' for edit. That will open the boot lines. Add the same parameter you used before and hit Ctrl + X or F10 to boot. See if that works. But this is also temporary and if you need a permanent parameter you can enter it in /etc/default/grub.

On the other hand, black screen can be video driver issue. Does live mode boot successfully into the live desktop without any additional parameters?
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Hold on, what worked?

If you needed to use some parameter to get the installer to recognize the disk, you probably need to use the same parameter on first boot or even permanently.

Any parameters you set in live mode don't enter into the installation made on the hdd, they are only for live mode and temporary.

When the grub2 boot menu shows, highlight the ubuntu entry and hit 'e' for edit. That will open the boot lines. Add the same parameter you used before and hit Ctrl + X or F10 to boot. See if that works. But this is also temporary and if you need a permanent parameter you can enter it in /etc/default/grub.

On the other hand, black screen can be video driver issue. Does live mode boot successfully into the live desktop without any additional parameters?
    Hey the disk recognition worked! And yes on the live cd installation graphics worked.
    I only boot ubuntu so I guess i need to add those parameters somewhere using the live cd cause i have a quiet grub boot.

If I boot with the live cd wich file should I edit, should I just add te pci=nomsi parameter??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If you boot in live mode it's not that easy to edit the grub files of the hdd installation. Remember that when in live mode it will show the /etc/default/grub but it's not the same.

If you boot only ubuntu, after the POST start hitting Shift and it will show the grub boot menu.

Once you add the parameter and you are in the hdd installation, edit the /etc/default/grub adding the parameter after the 'quiet splash' in the line saying something like GRUB_CMD...etc

After that run:
    sudo update-grub

to create the new config file that will save that change. From that point on it's permanent.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro

All solved. booting and working.

At boot up, I added the pci=nomsi nomodeset parameters in grub.

After that I added them permanently, and I am posting now from my Ubuntu Box working.

Thanks for all the help Darkod!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12