Thread: Random hard shutdowns

Beans

Random hard shutdowns

For awhile now I've been using 64bit ubuntu on my Toshiba C660, and its been fine except more recently I've been getting random power cuts even though my battery is good and whilst my charger is plugged in.

Now I thought it might be due to something wrong in 64bit ubuntu 12.04. So I switched and reinstalled to 32bit ubuntu 12.04. No Help. It did another random power cut.

I get no warning, no freezes. In a way when It does cut off It makes the same noise as when I hold down the power button.

I'm not sure if its to do with Ubuntu and linux or its a hardware issue.

Beans

Re: Random hard shutdowns

What's the CPU temperature like? Might it be shutting down due to overheating?

Beans

I'm not sure how to log CPU temperature.
    And I can't remember the application used to monitor hardware temperatures and usage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

pehaps is the CPU that not working or open the cup of your lappy and look if you got some dust on fan

Beans

I've got a feeling it has to do with the cpu as It mainly does the shutdown when I use programs like minecraft that use a lot of cpu.

Beans

I'm not really sure where the info is stored. You could do like me though, I've got Psensors installed. It doesn't log I think, but you can monitor the CPU temp in real time, and you can set alerts when it reaches a certain temperature. Just search for it in the software center.

Beans

Thanks for the help guys, Its not annoying and I'm a bit worried about using ubuntu as it could damage my laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

This seems like a hardware issue with the power delivery circuitry on the mobo. It could also be the CPU overheating, try dusting the heatsink out and see what happens. If that douse not work I suggest finding a new laptop.
    Shuttle AB48PN, WD Caviar Blue 320Gb, Pentium 4 OC to 3GHz, 2Gb corsair DDR333, Sapphire Radeon HD 4650, Acer 23" LCD monitor, Sparkle 400 Watt PSU.