Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shall I put my laptop in the fridge while running make?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Shall I put my laptop in the fridge while running make?

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    condensation
    Oh. Yes, I proposed an stupid idea.

EDIT: Related http://www.overclock.net/t/110378/pu...system-to-rest
    Last edited by tartalo; August 6th, 2012 at 07:33 PM.

Beans

Make sure your laptop's vents are clear and that the fan(s) are running when it gets hot. Get an applet that lets you monitor various temps and fan speeds and other hardware related stuff.

The cooler pads are great if you get one that works well with your system.

You might want to google your laptop and 'overheating linux' to see if others are experiencing the same problem and what they did about it. They might also have pointers on how to disassemble it without damaging it to see how much dust bunnies are in there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Try just dusting out the CPU heatsink first and yes putting your computer in the fridge is a BAAAAAD idea.
    Shuttle AB48PN, WD Caviar Blue 320Gb, Pentium 4 OC to 3GHz, 2Gb corsair DDR333, Sapphire Radeon HD 4650, Acer 23" LCD monitor, Sparkle 400 Watt PSU.

Beans

Interesting side note on this.

My box had a hard disk crash. I opened it and there's a quarter inch of dust on everything.

I had thought that with a cleanable air filter (which got fairly frequent cleanings) that I would be free of dust. I guess I was wrong!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Condensation forms on a material cooler than the surrounding air. Condensation will not form on the laptop. If the program ends and the laptop cools below room temperature you might have a problem when you take it out of the refer. It is also my opinion that the computer cools faster after shutdown than it would being placed in the fridge. The change in ambient temperature is much less than the temperature difference between a running computer and room temperature. People use their laptops outdoors in below freezing temperatures and then bring them inside on a regular basis.
    Make certain your lettuce is covered, the bits do not go well with any of the dressings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

On my five year old laptop half the fan duct was choked with dust/fluff. Now it runs cool and quiet.
    It was easy to fix, just three screws to remove the keyboard and two for the fan. Google for "clean fan" <your model>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12