Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Put a older linux kernel in a live cd?

Beans

Re: Put a older linux kernel in a live cd?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuyWithTheFace View Post
    1998 IBM Aptiva

motherboard: I couldn't find Identification, but I'm almost dead certain It's the original board.
    cpu: AMD K6-2 @ 350 MHz
    Ram: Originally 64 Mb, but I "upgraded" it to 192 to accommodate Lubuntu's needs
    Hard Disk: 8gb
    Video Memory: 4mb
    True, but I prefer to stay somewhat up-to-date.
    Do you now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ha! You got me there...

This computer is really just a pet project for bragging rights. I'm simply playing around with it. I'm trying to get a semi-current os because I've found with windows 98, no programs seem to still work on it, understandably so. Going from a out-of date unsupported os to a less out of date but still not supported os really doesn't do me any good.

Wait! Are you implying that this computer isn't top-notch?

The main difference between Windows forums and the Ubuntu forums is that the Ubuntu forums has hundreds of questions and thousands of answers, but Windows forums just have hundreds of questions.
    As for the OS X forums, I wouldn't know, I'm too poor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If I were you I would go for Debian stable.

Ubuntu is based on Debian so it won't be the same learning curve that you would get switching to another distro. You still use the same apt-get commands to install software and update the system and you will find that you can get all the same software for Debian that you can for Ubuntu (including LXDE). The only main difference is that Debian prioritizes stability over having the latest versions of software so you will just find that your software will be a few versions behind (but you will still be running a fully supported OS).

Going this route will be far easier than trying to use an old kernel with the latest Ubuntu or compiling anything from source.

Downloads for the i386 version of Debian stable can be found here:
    http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.5/i386/iso-cd/

You can use the netinst or businesscard ISO's to install if your machine has an internet connection, if not you just need CD-1.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

I thought about Debian, but the minimum processor speed is 1 Ghz, which this computer is pretty far behind.
    The main difference between Windows forums and the Ubuntu forums is that the Ubuntu forums has hundreds of questions and thousands of answers, but Windows forums just have hundreds of questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I thought about Debian, but the minimum processor speed is 1 Ghz, which this computer is pretty far behind.
    1GHz is the minimum recommended speed, you will still be able to install it on a much lower spec processor.

The system requirements for Debian are never going to be higher than the system requirements for Ubuntu, so if you were thinking of trying to install Ubuntu with an earlier kernel you then you have nothing to lose by trying Debian first.

I just say give it a go and see if the performance is acceptable.

Another option to look at would be #! (CrunchBang Linux).
    This is based on Debian but uses the OpenBox window manager instead of LXDE to provide an even lighter system. #! is my distro of choice for low spec machines.
    http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/about

As you can see from the attached screenshot a fresh install of #! only uses around 75MB of RAM when fully booted into the GUI. The included applications are chosen to use minimal resources. You also don't need to run a Live CD to install so you should be able to get it running on your hardware.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cheesemill; August 6th, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

ok, I'll give it a go!

Beans

Somehow I seem to be unable to find where you say why you want to do this.

If it's just on a lark, then go right ahead. I've done it too, several times.

If on the other hand you expect to do something practical with this machine then I suggest you look at current memory and CPU requirements for the software you intend to use.

If it's an isolated box then your best bet is to go find a CD from the timeframe when this box was new. If you intend to run a web browser on it, that might be problematic since things like flash won't likely work with an old browser.

Finally, I might point out that a new computer can go for usd $300 or even lower. If you have a job, then I recommend you figure out how many hours of work that translates to. Last one I bought was a 64-bit windows 7 laptop with webcam for $250.

Just food for thought.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    Somehow I seem to be unable to find where you say why you want to do this.
    This is just a project I'm playing with in my spare time. Right now I'm on my toshiba satellite with an intel i7 CPU and 6 gigs of ram. The "dinosaur" I'm working on is, as you said, on a lark. If it's unusable, no big deal, I didn't pay anything for it. If I can get a usable computer, I get bragging rights.

Beans

This is just a project I'm playing with in my spare time. Right now I'm on my toshiba satellite with an intel i7 CPU and 6 gigs of ram. The "dinosaur" I'm working on is, as you said, on a lark. If it's unusable, no big deal, I didn't pay anything for it. If I can get a usable computer, I get bragging rights.
    OK then you have my full support. You've given me one of two possible "correct" answers IMO. The other one being similar to that you live in a third-world country and are living on a dollar a day, and you need a computer for some reason.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

if debian doesn't work then DSL (uses old kernel and is ment for old computers, i think based on debian, and can install on 16 MB ram). i am not sure how well the kernel is patched. applicaitons might be a bit dated.
    Another and better option is Slitaz. with an updated/patched kernel and nice selection of applicaitons which can even be downloaded.i think you can squeeze it on that ram amount and CPU

and yes you can get same applciations as in ubuntu if you compile them from source.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast