Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Put a older linux kernel in a live cd?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Put a older linux kernel in a live cd?

So, I'm trying to put Lubuntu on a old computer with a AMD K6-2 processor. Unfortunately, the AMD K6-2 hasn't been supported since l0.04 lucid lynx. I'd prefer to install a OS that has official support from canonical, so I was wondering how I could put the kernel from lucid on the live cd with 12.04 precise. Any suggestions?

P.S.

Just for laughs, here are the specs of this computer:

1998 IBM Aptiva

motherboard: I couldn't find Identification, but I'm almost dead certain It's the original board.
    cpu: AMD K6-2 @ 350 MHz
    Ram: Originally 64 Mb, but I "upgraded" it to 192 to accommodate Lubuntu's needs
    Hard Disk: 8gb
    Video Memory: 4mb
    Last edited by TheGuyWithTheFace; August 5th, 2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: just fixing a typo
    The main difference between Windows forums and the Ubuntu forums is that the Ubuntu forums has hundreds of questions and thousands of answers, but Windows forums just have hundreds of questions.
    As for the OS X forums, I wouldn't know, I'm too poor.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Put a older linux kernel in a live cd?

A couple alternatives: Lubuntu 10.04 will be supported until April 2013.

Debian 6 will probably be supported into 2017 with security updates and could be installed with LXDE as the desktop and setup with similar applications.

Otherwise, you are probably looking at using DamnSmallLinux, Puppy Linux, or one of the other specialty distributions which support older computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cwsnyder View Post
    Lubuntu 10.04 will be supported until April 2013.
    Nope.

Lubuntu 10.04 wasn't an LTS release, support ran out last year.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cwsnyder View Post
    A couple alternatives: Lubuntu 10.04 will be supported until April 2013.

Debian 6 will probably be supported into 2017 with security updates and could be installed with LXDE as the desktop and setup with similar applications.

Otherwise, you are probably looking at using DamnSmallLinux, Puppy Linux, or one of the other specialty distributions which support older computers.
    As Cheesemill said, Lubuntu 10.04 no longer has support because it's not a LTS. I was considering using one of the other linux oses, but I was really hoping to use something with the same core as Ubuntu so I can have access to more programs. If I have to choose between Lubuntu 10.04 and Debian, DSL, or Puppy linux, I'd choose Lubuntu.
    The main difference between Windows forums and the Ubuntu forums is that the Ubuntu forums has hundreds of questions and thousands of answers, but Windows forums just have hundreds of questions.

Beans
    Distro

That being said, I still haven't given up on putting an older kernel on lubuntu 12.04's live cd...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuyWithTheFace View Post
    I was considering using one of the other linux oses, but I was really hoping to use something with the same core as Ubuntu so I can have access to more programs..
    other linuxes have programmes acess as well only they sometimes need to be compiled form source as they are not in their repositories.

Debian probably has same programmes available as Ubuntu. but you need ot add repositories.

then there is red hat (or the free CentOS or Scientific Linux) with loooooong support.

for light use you can also try Slitaz. has a nice colleciton of programmes.

note that after you make it work don't expect all porgrammes to run on that CPU since they have their own requirements as well. depends really what you plan to use the computer for.

Old version of (ubutnu based) Bodhi linux could also be an option.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

ok, I think I'll try Bhodi. If anyone still has any ideas about Lubuntu, though, please tell me.

Beans

1) It doesn't really matter that Lubuntu 10.04 wasn't LTS, because the only difference between that and the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is the desktop. So all the important bits will still receive security updates.

2) Unless you're using this machine as a public-facing server, it doesn't really matter if you are getting updates or not.

Beans
    Distro

True, but I prefer to stay somewhat up-to-date.

Beans
    Distro

Well, Bhodi isn't for me. Even though my computer has enough ram to run it once installed, there seems to be no way to install it without a live session, which I don't have enough memory for. So, mastablasta mentioned something about being able to compile things from scource to make them work in different distros. Does this mean that by compiling from scource I'll have access to the same programs I have in Ubuntu?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast