Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Put a older linux kernel in a live cd?

Beans

Re: Put a older linux kernel in a live cd?

Ya, http://distrowatch.com/search.php might be a really good site to hit.

Put in "old computer" or similar, get as specific as you want and see what comes up.

I think you'll have a really tough time getting a modern mainstream distro to work on it. Most of them focus on computers that are being bought today, so they're concentrating on multiple 64-bit cores, large memory and that sort of thing. You don't have any of that.

Another option might be Gentoo, but you'll need to cross compile for it which would be much more entertaining. Scratch that one.
    Help stamp out MBR partitions. Use GPT instead!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, I installed crunchbang, and the install went well, but the system keeps hanging during startup on "loading initial ramdisk". If I can't get that worked out, debian's next on the list.
    The main difference between Windows forums and the Ubuntu forums is that the Ubuntu forums has hundreds of questions and thousands of answers, but Windows forums just have hundreds of questions.
    As for the OS X forums, I wouldn't know, I'm too poor.

Beans
    Distro

I just realized how off-topic we've gotten. That's fine with me, I'm having fun learning about all these distros, but a name change may be in order, and I don't think I have privileges to do that.

Forums Moderator, if you're reading this, feel free to change the name to something more like "Old OS for 14 year old computer?" or something like that.
    The main difference between Windows forums and the Ubuntu forums is that the Ubuntu forums has hundreds of questions and thousands of answers, but Windows forums just have hundreds of questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Another option would be to forego the GUI completely and just install a CLI system (either Ubuntu or Debian based).

You can get CLI web browsers, mail clients, text editors and media players.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

A CLI web browser? how would I view the content?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuyWithTheFace View Post
    With your imagination!

No, really you would only see text and alt-tags for images. It works well for things like Wikipedia, forums, etc. but not for things like Youtube .

Beans
    Distro

oh.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuyWithTheFace View Post
    Through the terminal

I've attached a screenshot of the links web browser (obviously the background comes from me using a transparent terminal).
    More links screenshots.

You can also get CLI image viewers and video players that use the framebuffer, meaning they run without having to install X.
    For example you can play videos in CLI mode using mplayer by utilizing the framebuffer:
    Code:
    mplayer -vo fbdev video.avi
    (although I doubt that your hardware would be able to decode the files quickly enough).

I actually ran a little experiment on myself a few years ago to see how long I could last without using the GUI and was a lot more successful than I thought, by using the virtual terminals (CTRL+ALT+F1 - CTRL+ALT-F7) to multitask and the various CLI applications I made it for a good few days.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cheesemill; August 7th, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

that actually doesn't look too bad! Still, I'm gonna aim for a graphical environment, and fall back on A text-based os if necessary.

Beans

As late as early 2000, I used a non-graphical Linux distro as my only workstation at work. You can do a lot with lynx, links (both web browsers but different) and screen. It just so happened that the main things I needed for my job were terminal emulators (VT220, 5250 and 3270) and a compiler. My favorite editor is still vim, so I was covered there. My mail reader was pine.

You can adjust the size of the characters on your terminal, you don't just have to live with that they give you.

This sort of setup is perfectly fine for any non-workstation. Ubuntu Server is a terminal-only setup, although you can install X if you want. Ubuntu Server is a pretty good starting point for a mainstream server IMO. But it's still going to be oriented toward modern hardware, which you probably won't have much luck with.

Using a CLI box as a workstation gives you a slightly slanted and frustrating view of the world, but it worked for me for quite awhile.

Awhile back, Linux geeks started saying that Linux was the fastest operating system you would ever put on your computer. That was based on the fact that you can have a multi-user operating system without the overhead of graphics. At the time, accelerated graphics cards were not the norm. Even so, I think today you would get a noticeable speed boost.

Anymore, people still say that but they're wrong. Get a fully loaded GUI with all the bells and whistles turned on and you're significantly slower than Windows or Mac. Use Blackbox or FVWM and you might still get the advantage.

But all that said, if you do want X then go for a stripped down X with a very lightweight window manager. Blackbox is just a super simple WM you might want to try first.
    Last edited by 1clue; August 8th, 2012 at 01:30 AM.
    Help stamp out MBR partitions. Use GPT instead!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast