Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the move to Unity-3d-only kill Qt development in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Is the move to Unity-3d-only kill Qt development in Ubuntu?

I was wondering - since Unity 2d is likely to be dropped in Ubuntu 12.10 - what will be the future of Qt development within the Ubuntu ecosystem - such as Ubuntu TV and Ubuntu for Android?

cheers.

Uri
    "..it is the purpose that guides us, drives us, purpose that defines us.."
    Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop, Intel X3100, Core 2 Due, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Is the move to Unity-3d-only kill Qt development in Ubuntu?

Doesn't KDE (used in Kubuntu) make heavy use of Qt? And that's just if you choose to look at major Ubuntu flavours. It's used in lots of places. I wouldn't be too worried about the death of Qt.
    Last edited by Dylan1473; August 5th, 2012 at 03:57 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan1473 View Post
    Doesn't KDE (used in Kubuntu) make heavy use of Qt? And that's just if you choose to look at major Ubuntu flavours. It's used in lots of places. I wouldn't be too worried about the death of Qt.
    Great to hear. Yet, do you think that the path of Unity as a Compiz plugin will eventually stabilize?
    "..it is the purpose that guides us, drives us, purpose that defines us.."
    Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop, Intel X3100, Core 2 Due, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD.

Beans

By all accounts yes Ubuntu and Canonical is dropping a lot of QT support and its not a good thing as there are a lot of QT apps that are superior to GTK ones such as VLC, UMplayer, Clementine, Amarok, QMC2, the KDE plasma workspace in general (far more customizable, configurable and easy to use for newcommers then Gnome Shell or Unity) plus some proprietary apps like opera and skype are coded in QT so Canonical has pretty much fallen back on inferior GTK3 apps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    By all accounts yes Ubuntu and Canonical is dropping a lot of QT support and its not a good thing as there are a lot of QT apps that are superior to GTK ones such as VLC, UMplayer, Clementine, Amarok, QMC2, the KDE plasma workspace in general (far more customizable, configurable and easy to use for newcommers then Gnome Shell or Unity) plus some proprietary apps like opera and skype are coded in QT so Canonical has pretty much fallen back on inferior GTK3 apps.
    What accounts are these, exactly? It would be neat if you could cite some sources.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    What accounts are these, exactly? It would be neat if you could cite some sources.
    Need studies to show KDE is easier to use for newcomers than Unity.

I don't see any reason at all to see Canonical dropping QT support. The deprecation of unity-2d was to avoid duplication of efforts. I wish they dropped the compiz plugin because unity-2d is more standalone. But I doubt it has anything to do with QT itself.

Canonical would prefer GTK apps as opposed to QT apps in the default , for the obvious reason that they integrate better with the gnome desktop ubuntu uses (unity is just a shell for gnome, most of the DE is still gnome)
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    I don't see any reason at all to see Canonical dropping QT support. The deprecation of unity-2d was to avoid duplication of efforts. I wish they dropped the compiz plugin because unity-2d is more standalone. But I doubt it has anything to do with QT itself.
    When I asked Ted Gould about Unit 2D at UDS in May he didn't mention QT at all. In fact, he did make a point of clarifying that Unity 2D isn't being dropped per se, but merely that its functionality is being rolled into the main Unity effort, so one project will provide the UI with greater similarity to each other than the current separate projects.

Beans
    Distro

What functionality exactly? Will I be able to run Unity-"3d" without compiz?
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    What functionality exactly? Will I be able to run Unity-"3d" without compiz?
    "Unity 3D" describes how Unity is rendered under Compiz. "Unity 2D" describes how Unity is rendered on systems with lower graphics capabilities than is required by Compiz.

One project, with graceful degradation.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rg4w View Post
    "Unity 3D" describes how Unity is rendered under Compiz. "Unity 2D" describes how Unity is rendered on systems with lower graphics capabilities than is required by Compiz.

One project, with graceful degradation.
    Let's see. I suspect computers that aren't adequately provisioned for hardware acceleration will find their CPU is having to work harder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast