Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: xfdesktop and xfce4-panel won't start unless sudo

if something only works with sudo you probably messed up some permissions
    if you had to use root you probally should have used gksudo
    to fox permissions
    Code:
    sudo chown -r $USER:$USER ~/
    and change your quote tags to code tags
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Didn't help. Maybe it's something in /usr I need to take ownership of?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Champlin93 View Post
    XFCE worked perfectly for weeks until I ran a Minecraft installer shell script. Immediately after running the shell script xfdesktop suddenly crashed.

==snip==

So I suspect something this shell script does might be breaking XFCE due to the immediate crash of xfdesktop after running it but i have no idea what it could be or how to fix it.
    No, you don't need to take ownership of anything in /usr. It's rather clear that something in that script has damaged your system. The solution is to avoid using the script for any purpose.

More poorly-written scripts may exist, and probably do, but this one with its frequent use of "sudo" to make system changes certainly rates high on the list of things to avoid. It probably DID mess up the permissions for something on the desktop or panel and as a result they now require root privilege just to load.

After running the script, trying to fix the system is somewhat akin to putting a band-aid on a slashed artery -- it won't help but only makes matters worse. Your best bet would be to re-install the system one more time, and this time leave the script alone. Or, if the game is that important to you, then leave things as they are and put up with using "sudo" each time you boot...
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans

Strange thing is it's not only sudo that can run it without a problem its any other user including guest. I might re-install at some point but for now I'm happy to using another desktop environment. I'm definitely staying away from that shell script in the future.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Since all other users can work properly without having to use sudo, that's very strong evidence that nothing at all is wrong in /usr. Any problem in one of the system areas such as /usr would affect all users the same.

That, by elimination, leaves only your own home directory as the site of the problem. The script creates a hidden file there, to hold its configuration data, and it's possible that while doing so, it changed ownership of some critical configuration file from you to "root." I'd almost bet that it did this to ".ICEauthority" but it could have been any of several others that are accessed during your login process.

You can check this by issuing the command "ls -al" and posting the output here (use the code tags to keep the result readable). The thing to look for is files owned by root; you should own everything that's in your home directory although the directory ".." (which is another name for /home) should be owned by root.
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12