Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Intermittent Airport.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: Intermittent Airport.

bipa, thanks for the feedback. You've confirmed my understanding of Airport Classic - i.e. to use WEP you have to use an older version of the firmware.

Would it be possible to zip up your 9.52 firmware and post/attach it here? It may well be useful to others requiring WPA and network manager.

I'd be willing to add a confirmation about this in the FAQ but the wiki does not seem to allow such edits (page is not editable for me).
    Have you got a launchpad account? It's a bit funny when you first log in to the wiki pages; you seem to have to do it twice.

Beans

Hi rsavage.

Here's the 9.52 revision of the airport classic firmware (attached).

I extracted it from the latest Mac OS X 10.4.11 Airport utility "kext" (in /System/Library/Extensions) with an extraction tool from the "agere firmware utils".

I have verified that it loads OK with the airport driver (when renamed /lib/firmware/agere_sta_fw.bin) but it did not work for me (authentication problem with WEP-128 ). I haven't tested it with WPA-PSK either but it claims it supports it (just like version 9.48 ).

Regarding the FAQ: no I don't have a launchpad account (only a "Ubuntu SSO account"). That must be the problem. I'll give it another try in a few days.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bipa; November 12th, 2012 at 11:48 PM.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Thanks.

I suspect there are two problems (please don't read this as fact):

With version 9.48 you get the wrong ap_scan value.
    With version 9.48 and higher WEP no longer works.

If you have network manager installed then you can check if the ap_scan value changes with the different firmware:

Code:
     grep ap_scan /var/log/syslog

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234