Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth headset connects, but doesn't work

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Bluetooth headset connects, but doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by quequotion View Post
    I was playing around last night, and found that it is quite possible to play music through the HSP/HFP profile. Using settings in blueman and pavucontrol, I reconfigured my device as a Headset, then used pulseaudio to route to the headset.

It works, after a fashion. The audio quality is not great, it's telephony. Monaural only, low fidelity audio. It might sound better on a single-ear device, and not a pair of stereo headphones (mine, Japanese page).

Anyway, I'll give you more detail later if you need it:
    1. Activate your paired bluetooth headset.
    2. Use blueman to select the "Headset Service" profile (this should happen automatically, but there is a bug.
    3. In pavucontrol (or "Sound Settings" may suffice) to connect to the HSP/HFP Device.
    4. Set this device for output.
    5. Later, when you dissconnect the device, pulseaudio will automatically return audio control to your default speakers (that part works!).

You have to do it all over again, each time.
    In pavucontrol they show up and the configuration tab says, "Headset Profile: Telephony Duplex." Though I don't know how to set the headset to be output or input in pavucontrol. I see a button to set as fallback, but I don't know what that means.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Please please please join my bug report.
    Sure. Done it. I wouldn't hold my breath, though. Many serious bugs affecting hundreds of people are ignored. Canonical is more preoccupied about making Ubuntu "work" on tablets than making it just work. Hopefully a generous independent developer has the same problem and finds some free time to fix it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownDiety View Post
    In pavucontrol they show up and the configuration tab says, "Headset Profile: Telephony Duplex." Though I don't know how to set the headset to be output or input in pavucontrol. I see a button to set as fallback, but I don't know what that means.
    In my case I have to select "Audio Sink" first, and then I can use those options in pavucontrol. I hoped this would not be necessary for your device, but I don't have a similar one to work with. Maybe you'll have to connect output another way.

Give the orinary sound settings dialog a shot.
    1. Click the speaker icon (sound-indicator)
    2. choose "Sound Settings..." from the menu. This should give you a dialog with tabs for "Output" and "Input" with a list of available audio devices.
    Click once on a device to switch to it.
    This crashes sometimes.

Somehow you need to get bluez to create initiate a bluetooth audio device, which is what happens when the "Audio Sink" profile is connected. I thought this profile only applied to H2DP, but perhaps it is also necessary for headsets...?

Beans
    Hidden!

In my case I have to select "Audio Sink" first, and then I can use those options in pavucontrol. I hoped this would not be necessary for your device, but I don't have a similar one to work with. Maybe you'll have to connect output another way.

Give the orinary sound settings dialog a shot.
    1. Click the speaker icon (sound-indicator)
    2. choose "Sound Settings..." from the menu. This should give you a dialog with tabs for "Output" and "Input" with a list of available audio devices.
    Click once on a device to switch to it.
    This crashes sometimes.

Somehow you need to get bluez to create initiate a bluetooth audio device, which is what happens when the "Audio Sink" profile is connected. I thought this profile only applied to H2DP, but perhaps it is also necessary for headsets...?
    Hopefully having Audio Sink isn't necessary for this to work.

Whenever I do that I'm not getting any sound from headset and the microphone doesn't pick up any sound either whenever I try talking into it.

I don't know how to do that.

I appreciate your continued advice.
    Last edited by UnknownDiety; November 14th, 2012 at 02:27 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Bump

Beans
    Hidden!

Bump

Beans
    Hidden!

Bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Still not fixed in 12.10!

This used to work so well, you would think Pulse Audio and Bluez would get this figured out. Thank God for Blueman!

Dell XPS13 - Ubuntu 12.10 - 64Bit
    Last edited by JoaoMachado; November 17th, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
    "In happier times, philosophers discussed the problem of man; now they discuss man as a problem!" (Bishop Fulton Sheen, from his book "Peace of Soul" )

Beans
    Hidden!

Bump

Beans
    Hidden!

Bump

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast