Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth headset connects, but doesn't work

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Bluetooth headset connects, but doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by quequotion View Post
    Ahh... please read carefully! You probably don't need to make all of those changes. Particularly, I have redacted one after replying to your thread.
    Well by doing all of them I meant I meant all of them but this one as it's the only one that I saw was told not to be done:

### Automatically detect bluetooth devices load-module module-bluetooth-discover #Maybe this does more harm than good

It should appear as a single device, but may have several profiles ("Input Service", "Headset Service", "Audio Sink", etc...) which determine how the computer will interact with the device (as a remote control, a telephone headset, a set of headphones, etc). These are the right-click selections you found in blueman.
    Well it's showing as just a single device, but it only has two profiles. Input & Headset. It doesn't have the Audio Sink one.

"Input Service" is the bluetooth profile for remote control functions (buttons, not sound) and probably isn't what you want. I don't know if it even works.
    So I don't really need to worry about the Input one then.

"Headset Service" is the profile for telephony function (low-fidelity audio, microphone input). I don't have any software to test this service with, but it probably won't be used for audio output automatically because it's not intended for general-purpose audio. If you want to use telephony software, you may need to configure the settings in that software to use the headset's speaker and microphone, rather than the default output and input. It's also possible to configure pulseaudio to use the microphone and speaker on the headset as the default input and output, but that's probably not what you want in the long run.
    I've mainly been trying to get it to work with skype, but the only option I end up getting in skype's options for the Microphone, Speakers, and Ringing is PulseAudio Server (local).

"Audio Sink" provides a general-purpose audio device (high-fidelity, stereo if available, no microphone input). Once activated, pulseaudio will switch to this device automatically when configured to do so (cut off the main speakers and activate the headset speaker(s)). If you want to use your headphones to listen to music, videos, or whatever, you need this profile.

Unfortunately, something is wrong with the bluetooth driver in Ubuntu (bluez). The driver should automatically provide both "Headset Service" and "Audio Sink" as audio devices for the sound subsystem (pulseaudio) to configure, but it does not. You will have to select one of the two, manually, in blueman.
    Ahh. If I could get it to have an Audio Sink profile and to actually function it'd be nice, but I'm mainly wanting to get the Headset service working properly.

My description of this in the other thread is perhaps overly technical. There's another, distinct, problem with pulseaudio: the default configuration does not include the settings to switch from the main speakers to your headset when you connect it. For this, you need to edit the settings file /etc/pulse/system.pa and add, at the end of the file:
    Code:
    ### Automatically redirect to newly available sinks
    load-module module-switch-on-connect
    I've already got that added at the bottom even with this at the end of the second line:
    Code:
    #Probably necessary... probably...
    Keep in mind, even with pulseaudio configured and working correctly, Ubuntu will not automagically redirect audio to your headset because bluez is broken. When you connect the headset, you must click one of the audio profiles in blueman, and then pulseaudio will automatically switch over the sound.
    Talking about configuring it from editing the files that were told to be changed in that other thread you linked? Because I've followed the steps except for the one that is said to cause problems instead of helping. After doing those configurations I've tried opening Blue's Devices and then connecting to the headset service. Sometimes it won't connect on the first try, but sometimes it will. Whenever it does connect I go to the Sound Settings and set everything to my headset so that I can try to use skype, but nothing works. Not the speaker of the headset or the microphone.

Probably because bluez doesn't provide the other devices for pulseaudio to profile, but make sure to check your headset's manual/box for what it should be supporting.
    The manual says it can be used with PS3 or for Mobile Phone. It doesn't actually mention any kind of profile other than that though from what I understood. It's actually the Sony Official PS3 Headset Model CECH-0075. On Windows both the Headset's speaker and microphone work fine. I can talk to people or I can listen to music with it if I so choose without being stuck right next to my computer.

I don't think that is what you need...
    Ahh ok. I've disabled it, but whether it's enabled or not I've seen no difference. I restarted after enabling and again after disabling.

So it goes like this:
    0a. Pair your headset
    0b. Configure pulseaudio to use module-switch-on-connect

1. Activate the headset.
    2. Once connected, right-click to choose a profile in blueman.*
    3a. For "Headset Service" you need to setup your telephony programs to use the headset's speaker and mic.
    3b. For "Audio Sink" you need to do nothing, audio will be redirected to your headphones.
    4. Deactivate the headset.
    5. Audio should revert to the main speakers and microphone.

* This (2.) would not be necessary if bluez was working properly.
    Assuming 0b means adding that one line to the bottom of /etc/pulse/system.pa:
    Code:
    ### Automatically redirect to newly available sinks
    load-module module-switch-on-connect #Probably necessary... probably...

I can't get the sound to work with Headset service (or I don't know how to get it to work?) and I don't have an Audio Sink profile.

Hopefully there's I haven't misunderstood anything, but if I have I apologize.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownDiety View Post
    Well by doing all of them I meant I meant all of them but this one as it's the only one that I saw was told not to be done:

### Automatically detect bluetooth devices load-module module-bluetooth-discover #Maybe this does more harm than good
    Nice catch. I was worried about that one especially. Unfortunately few of these configuration options are adequately documented, or documented at all. I'm also going on advice I picked up in various forums (mostly gentoo's and archlinux's).
    Well it's showing as just a single device, but it only has two profiles. Input & Headset. It doesn't have the Audio Sink one.
    A ha! I dug up the manual for this. That headset only supports HSP and HFP profiles ("Headset Service"), so no "Audio Sink" (the A2DP profile). I suppose it's designed for use to communicate in games while listening to the game audio (sfx, music, etc) through main speakers.
    I've mainly been trying to get it to work with skype, but the only option I end up getting in skype's options for the Microphone, Speakers, and Ringing is PulseAudio Server (local).
    I've not used skype for a while. I'll take a look at this if I can find the time. Perhaps skype doesn't look deeply into your audio configuration and relies on pulseaudio to take care of the details--which probably means reconfiguring pulseaudio with paman and pavucontrol.
    I've already got that added at the bottom even with this at the end of the second line:
    Code:
    #Probably necessary... probably...
    OK, probably good then. Again, it's not well documented.
    I've tried opening Blue's Devices and then connecting to the headset service. Sometimes it won't connect on the first try, but sometimes it will. Whenever it does connect I go to the Sound Settings and set everything to my headset so that I can try to use skype, but nothing works. Not the speaker of the headset or the microphone.
    That's not good. Maybe something is wrong with the volume configuration? take a look at alsamixer in a terminal. It will open with a view of your default sound card's volume levels, but you can select your headset's by pressing [F6] and selecting it from the menu.
    The manual says it can be used with PS3 or for Mobile Phone. It doesn't actually mention any kind of profile other than that though from what I understood. It's actually the Sony Official PS3 Headset Model CECH-0075.
    Take a look at the last page for the "Product Specifications".
    On Windows both the Headset's speaker and microphone work fine. I can talk to people or I can listen to music with it if I so choose without being stuck right next to my computer.
    I think this is possible in linux, and the configuration options are available for bluez, alsa and pulseaudio; but the default configurations are not good enough in Ubuntu, and the drivers aren't as advanced. Things are getting better, but gradually.
    Ahh ok. I've disabled it, but whether it's enabled or not I've seen no difference. I restarted after enabling and again after disabling.
    Yeah, I don't really know anything about the headset emulation myself.
    Hopefully there's I haven't misunderstood anything, but if I have I apologize.
    Not at all! Forgive me, I'm actually not used to communicating this well here.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by quequotion View Post
    Nice catch. I was worried about that one especially. Unfortunately few of these configuration options are adequately documented, or documented at all. I'm also going on advice I picked up in various forums (mostly gentoo's and archlinux's).
    Sounds like it's good advice thus far.

A ha! I dug up the manual for this. That headset only supports HSP and HFP profiles ("Headset Service"), so no "Audio Sink" (the A2DP profile). I suppose it's designed for use to communicate in games while listening to the game audio (sfx, music, etc) through main speakers.
    Yeah It's same shape/design as a cellphone bluetooth headset.

I've not used skype for a while. I'll take a look at this if I can find the time. Perhaps skype doesn't look deeply into your audio configuration and relies on pulseaudio to take care of the details--which probably means reconfiguring pulseaudio with paman and pavucontrol.
    I wouldn't have the slightest clue of how to reconfigure them or I guess what would be needed.

OK, probably good then. Again, it's not well documented.
    Ahh. Maybe they'll add more documentation down the road.

That's not good. Maybe something is wrong with the volume configuration? take a look at alsamixer in a terminal. It will open with a view of your default sound card's volume levels, but you can select your headset's by pressing [F6] and selecting it from the menu.
    The only things that show up in the Sound Card part of AlsaMixer are - (default), 0 HDA Intel, and enter device name.

Take a look at the last page for the "Product Specifications".
    Ahh. I just figured it would've been on the page where it told how to use it with a phone. Now I know to always check the product specifications page.

I think this is possible in linux, and the configuration options are available for bluez, alsa and pulseaudio; but the default configurations are not good enough in Ubuntu, and the drivers aren't as advanced. Things are getting better, but gradually.
    That's encouraging to see.

Yeah, I don't really know anything about the headset emulation myself.
    I don't either.

Not at all! Forgive me, I'm actually not used to communicating this well here.
    I think you've been doing swell. I just know sometimes I misread things so I was making sure.

Beans
    Hidden!

Bump

Beans
    Hidden!

Bump

Beans
    Hidden!

Bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Output:

Input:

Can't hear anything and the microphone doesn't pick up anything.
    I saw that screen the first time I paired my Nokia BH-210 headset. No sound was input or output. Next time I opened the sound settings the wireless headset had dissapeared from the list of devices and it never got back. Removing the device, re-pairing, rebooting Ubuntu, etc., etc., etc. nothing made it come back. Of course there's no way to get audio to or from the headset.

I do hear a beep, however, when I connect or disconnect the headset from the bluetooth indicator. (It's a different one for connecting and disconnecting.) This means Ubuntu is perfectly aware the device is being connected and disconnected. IMO the audio subsystem (PulseAudio) isn't being informed properly and so there's no way to stream audio to and from the headset.

I'll try all of that blueman advices here, but this should work out of the box.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hopefully the advice works for you even though it didn't for me.

Bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by AleveSicofante View Post
    I saw that screen the first time I paired my Nokia BH-210 headset. No sound was input or output. Next time I opened the sound settings the wireless headset had dissapeared from the list of devices and it never got back. Removing the device, re-pairing, rebooting Ubuntu, etc., etc., etc. nothing made it come back. Of course there's no way to get audio to or from the headset.

I do hear a beep, however, when I connect or disconnect the headset from the bluetooth indicator. (It's a different one for connecting and disconnecting.) This means Ubuntu is perfectly aware the device is being connected and disconnected. IMO the audio subsystem (PulseAudio) isn't being informed properly and so there's no way to stream audio to and from the headset.

I'll try all of that blueman advices here, but this should work out of the box.
    Please please please join my bug report.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hopefully the advice works for you even though it didn't for me.

Bump
    I was playing around last night, and found that it is quite possible to play music through the HSP/HFP profile. Using settings in blueman and pavucontrol, I reconfigured my device as a Headset, then used pulseaudio to route to the headset.

It works, after a fashion. The audio quality is not great, it's telephony. Monaural only, low fidelity audio. It might sound better on a single-ear device, and not a pair of stereo headphones (mine, Japanese page).

Anyway, I'll give you more detail later if you need it:
    1. Activate your paired bluetooth headset.
    2. Use blueman to select the "Headset Service" profile (this should happen automatically, but there is a bug.
    3. In pavucontrol (or "Sound Settings" may suffice) to connect to the HSP/HFP Device.
    4. Set this device for output.
    5. Later, when you dissconnect the device, pulseaudio will automatically return audio control to your default speakers (that part works!).

You have to do it all over again, each time.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast