Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Quality in ubuntu Survey

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    402

    Quality in ubuntu Survey

    Here's an invitation to all of you to add your opinion to a little survey on quality perceptions in ubuntu. Your feedback is appreciated. I'll be using the results to help drive discussions on continuing forward as a community and where and how we should focus.

    http://www.theorangenotebook.com/201...ns-survey.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    5,423
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Quality in ubuntu Survey

    Ok .. I filled out the survey and I just wanted to report that I think the quality of Ubuntu has regressed greatly, especially with nautilus and the newer desktop concept of "me". The developers of Nautilus have to get rid of that "me" in the permissions and restore it to the rightful end_user. Although Nautilus is not the only file manager for Ubuntu , some consider it a keepsake with certain juju and mojo. If we play with nautilus in the way it has been finestered then Ubuntu as a whole looses it's mojo. That is contrary to the Ubuntu concept.

    I know that Ubuntu is cutting edge but when we try to break long standing conventions then we are opening a plethora of holes and chasms. Ubuntu has to start considering new "keepsakes" computer concepts especially for those who have been working the OS for a great amount of time.

    However.. I stand by Ubuntu as being the best OS on the planet! Bugs and all.!
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Austria
    Beans
    135
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Quality in ubuntu Survey

    I think the quality of development versions has increased. Thats a very good point!

    What could be improve are the stable versions: the clear problem is that it takes 1 - 2 months after a release until the biggest "little" bugs are fixed.

    What also could be improved to send developers to - I call it - "core apps" that have not so many devs like for example GIMP or Rhythmbox to implement bug fixes or even feature wishes.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    England
    Beans
    27
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Quality in ubuntu Survey

    I think Ubuntu has come along well, but its some of the components that aren't up to scratch.

    Nautilus is a good file manager, but their new interface really doesn't suit Unity.

    The new update manager doesn't allow enough easy control over the updates, Im happy enough that security updates get installed, but I don't really want numerous nightly repos being updated on a daily basis.

    I would have said Compiz has been a let down, but its looking better so far in Quantal.

    On the plus side its great to have the new nvidia cards working straight away and its so easy now to get surround sound output via HDMI

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Beans
    4,373
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Quality in ubuntu Survey

    they need to get launch pad working right if they expect to continue getting quality reports from experienced users . I'm getting sick of it randomly sending me to the oops page and some (explicative deleted ) bot marking legitimate bugs "invalid' before a human even gets a look at them . what ever 'improvements" they made to LP undo them .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Quality in ubuntu Survey

    What most of you are mentioning, are external issues, that have nothing to do with the quality of Ubuntu. Actually if all you can find to complain about are external issues, that says quite a bit about the quality.

    I personally think that the quality of the code we are getting has been very good. I haven't had one time since the start of this development cycle where my system hasn't been usable, this says a lot about how the focus on quality and testing has made development versions almost boring to use.

    As far as Gnome components go, you all know the proper place to make complaints and file bugs. Just in case you have forgotten, this is the place.

    For launchpad, if you are having problems, file a bug against launchpad, the devs there are quite responsive.
    Last edited by cariboo907; August 6th, 2012 at 03:44 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Beans
    4,373
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Quality in ubuntu Survey

    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    What most of you are mentioning, are external issues, that have nothing to do with the quality of Ubuntu. Actually if all you can find to complain about are external issues, that says quite a bit about the quality.

    I personally think that the quality of the code we are getting has been very good. I haven't had one time since the start of this development cycle where my system hasn't been usable, this says a lot about how the focus on quality and testing has made development versions almost boring to use.

    As far as Gnome components go, you all know the proper place to make complaints and file bugs. Just in case you have forgotten, this is the place.

    For launchpad, if you are having problems, file a bug against launchpad, the devs there are quite responsive.
    My experience with Quantal has been the exact opposite of yours , after the onset of kernel 3.5 up until the daily of august 3 most of the time I could not even get the installer to complete , it would crash at various points during the install and if I did get an install it would crash on boot or shortly after logging in . apport sometimes would pop up a dialog box asking to "report a problem" but then would either refuse to report it or crash trying . so yes I am a bit less than enthusiastic about the quality of Quantal . I had an updated precise that kept me in the game by letting me boot into the 3.4 series kernel but even on that startup disk creator quit making bootable sticks after A1 so I had to burn dvd's for the lousy 50 to 70 mb oversize and when I finally got a working daily on aug 3 and tried SDC there and got apport to finally file a bug on it the (unprintable) launchpad bot invalided it saying I was using "out of date applications" and then LP refused to let me see my own report to add a comment ! so if I sound upset I am .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Quality in ubuntu Survey

    Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    My experience with Quantal has been the exact opposite of yours , after the onset of kernel 3.5 up until the daily of august 3 most of the time I could not even get the installer to complete , it would crash at various points during the install and if I did get an install it would crash on boot or shortly after logging in . apport sometimes would pop up a dialog box asking to "report a problem" but then would either refuse to report it or crash trying . so yes I am a bit less than enthusiastic about the quality of Quantal . I had an updated precise that kept me in the game by letting me boot into the 3.4 series kernel but even on that startup disk creator quit making bootable sticks after A1 so I had to burn dvd's for the lousy 50 to 70 mb oversize and when I finally got a working daily on aug 3 and tried SDC there and got apport to finally file a bug on it the (unprintable) launchpad bot invalided it saying I was using "out of date applications" and then LP refused to let me see my own report to add a comment ! so if I sound upset I am .
    I can understand your feelings, as I've followed your trials and tribulations, even though I haven't commented on them.

    Apport is a wonderful tool, although at times it can also be frustrating. You can still create a bug report manually using the following url:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug/?no-redirect

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Beans
    4,373
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Quality in ubuntu Survey

    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I can understand your feelings, as I've followed your trials and tribulations, even though I haven't commented on them.

    Apport is a wonderful tool, although at times it can also be frustrating. You can still create a bug report manually using the following url:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug/?no-redirect
    I did file a couple of bugs but due to the kernel panics killing logging before data was logged I think they must have hit the dustbin pretty quickly , I also metoo'd someone elses similar bug .

    thanks for the link it will save floundering around trying to get to the right place .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    402

    Re: Quality in ubuntu Survey

    Quote Originally Posted by thotz View Post
    I think the quality of development versions has increased. Thats a very good point!

    What could be improve are the stable versions: the clear problem is that it takes 1 - 2 months after a release until the biggest "little" bugs are fixed.

    What also could be improved to send developers to - I call it - "core apps" that have not so many devs like for example GIMP or Rhythmbox to implement bug fixes or even feature wishes.
    Heh, are you saying 12.04.1 should be 12.04? There's always a point in time when you have to cut the cord and publish something. If your an LTS user, the upgrade manager shouldn't prompt to upgrade to the new LTS until the .1 release partly for that reason.

    However, I do agree with your premise. I think this is where we as a ubuntu QA community can "step up" to make the .0 release more reliable. We'll never eliminate the "wait for the .1 mantra", but we can certainly make the .0 experience much better for the rest of the ubuntu community. All the pain you feel by running quantal now can be alleviated for other community members -- follow-up and own the issues you find. When you help get them squashed you can now that there are untold numbers of people who will never experience that pain Not a bad thought to fall asleep to.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •