Thread: Whatsapp on ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Whatsapp on ubuntu

Hi,
    I installed WhatsApp via Android SDK, but when I try to verify my phone number, it says "Unable to connect. Please try again later.". Anybody knows what can I do to fix it, or if there's other way to use WhatsApp on Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Whatsapp on ubuntu

WhatsApp verifies your account by the phone number on your phone. Since you're emulating a phone via the Android SDK, you don't have a real phone number. Because of this, you can't use WhatsApp without a phone with a working phone number.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hay,

I use whatsapp on ubuntu under the droid emulator.

It sent a sms with a verification code once it could not verify the 'normal' way around.

I can;t remember the exact steps. But just look at your options. There should be an option to activate via sms.

Just keep trying, it does work. Been using it for almost 7 months like that now.

Cherz

Just saw it is a connection error not a verification error, can you access the internet via your AVD? (eg the phone browser)
    Switched away from windows XP to Ubuntu 9.04. Never turned around to look back.

Beans

Hi,

I have the same problem, cannot verify the phone number because of the same error. And yes, I'm able to access the internet via AVD. I've tried with two different phone numbers as well. I guess they have changed something...

Beans

Bump

Beans

Yes any help on this would be much appreciated as I'm also having the same issue

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I know when i was trying to install Whatsapp on a tablet that, even having a valid and working phone/phone number, i didn't received the verification text message. Instead i could choose to get called on my number and receive the verification code like that.

Maybe you could do the same.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GeForce 9500GT View Post
    I know when i was trying to install Whatsapp on a tablet that, even having a valid and working phone/phone number, i didn't received the verification text message. Instead i could choose to get called on my number and receive the verification code like that.

Maybe you could do the same.
    Thanks for the advice. WOuld love to try your suggestion but don't see where I would be able to select this call back option you mention.

cheers,
    Daniel

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I got the message at the beginning were you have to register. There's a line at the bottom telling you that you could be called as well to get the verification code. I tried connecting many times, never got the text message and after a while i noticed i could be called too. I think you must redo the registration again. That's how i did it, jus cancel it and redo it again.

Beans

Thanks for the reply, GeForce...
    Problem is that this option (to receive the code by a phone call) is not available... it automatically chooses to send a text message to a phone number...