Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i dissabled password but still getting a password promt

Beans

i dissabled password but still getting a password promt

Im using ubuntu - 10.10 . i want to remove password to login, so i went to system settings > User Accounts , then i clicked on password and then selected the option of 'dissabling the password for login' .
    But now when i use 'sudo -su' its asking the password . I tried using the old password but its not working....
    plzz help me asap!!!
    thanks in advance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: i dissabled password but still getting a password promt

Hi ,
    press Ctrl+alt+F2 and login with username & password. Can you login there ? (maybe password not needed)

If you login successfully , then give this commands with order
    Code:
    sudo service gdm stop
    sudo passwd
    it will ask you for new password , write it twice and then
    Code:
    sudo service gdm start
    Thanks

Beans

its asking me a password for executing any commmand......

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't know how to solve this issue in the current state - you can't change system settings like userids without sudo, but you can't sudo since there isn't a password.

Bare with me as I think aloud.

I think you need enable a password on the account (seems you may have a chicken/egg problem there since sudo needs a password), then you can change the settings in the sudoers file to not require a password - 'man sudo' explains how.

But, you are stuck. Did you make another login as a backup? Does it have sudo capabilities? If so, use that account.

The only other method I could guess would be to boot from other media, mount the partition with /etc and manually edit the /etc/shadow file. I think the 2nd field will have an "!" and you want that to be an encrypted password.

A little more searching found this solution http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-rec...er-ubuntu.html . I haven't tried this method, but it should work. Set a password for your account using the method inside that link, then look up the NOPASSWD options for sudo. The fact that it is so easy to get root without any credentials really concerns me. Here is a more detailed step-by-step explanation http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux...nutes-or-less/

However, I believe that not having a password for a login is a very dangerous thing for Linux systems. Unlike on Windows, Linux passwords protect against remote access too. In Windows, remote access or file sharing have to be explicitly enabled. On Linux, if you or some other dependent package installs any tool capable of remote access, then you've left your PC while open ... unless you also run with very tight firewall settings.

In a multi-user OS, passwords are a way of life.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by rishiar4 View Post
    its asking me a password for executing any commmand......
    OK, then.

You can go through recovery mode.
    Boot from recovery mode and click "root" .
    Then write below commands with order
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /
    passwd <username>
    username = Your username.

Reboot and see if fixed.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by rishiar4 View Post
    Im using ubuntu - 10.10 . i want to remove password to login, so i went to system settings > User Accounts , then i clicked on password and then selected the option of 'dissabling the password for login' .
    Doing this doesn't disable your password, it just means you won't be prompted for it when you first log in. You will still need it whenever you open an admin tool or if you want to use sudo on the command line.

I tried using the old password but its not working....
    Try it again, your password won't have changed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Doing this doesn't disable your password, it just means you won't be prompted for it when you first log in. You will still need it whenever you open an admin tool or if you want to use sudo on the command line.

Try it again, your password won't have changed.
    I've tried it again but its saying "Sorry, try again" .
    Actually even i want to remove password just for logging in and not for opening admin tool or for executing sudo on the command line.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I've tried it again but its saying "Sorry, try again" .
    Check your Caps Lock. You may be using capitals or not using capitals as required by the password. It's happened to me.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    Check your Caps Lock.
    Or Number Lock, especially if you're on a laptop. Happens to me all the time.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    The fact that it is so easy to get root without any credentials really concerns me. Here is a more detailed step-by-step explanation http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux...nutes-or-less/
    Well, it doesn't concern me too much. I have a good root password, so even if someone steals my computer and knows how to enable logging in as root, they probably won't even be able to get into the root shell, unless they were looking over my shoulder when I set the password.
    Also, that article was made for 8.04. Does it work for 12.04? I'm just curious.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast