Thread: Boot failed every two times reboot

Beans

Boot failed every two times reboot

I just install the ubuntu server 12.04 64 bit to IBM system x server. and I found a very strange issue.

When I try to reboot, the first time is always failed. I will press ctrl+alt+del to reboot again and it will successfully boot up.

So here is my question, is it able to set it the auto retry if the boot up failed!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Boot failed every two times reboot

Are your boot drives particularly slow at spinning up? Can you add a delay one way or another in the BIOS?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Are your boot drives particularly slow at spinning up? Can you add a delay one way or another in the BIOS?

I think this should be done in OS level. For example, windows server will try to reboot if it's failed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Greetings!

First reboot, so every time you reboot from either OS? You said winblows so I assume your using that as well as Linux on this machine?

I wonder if your talking about first boot of the day which is a relatively common issue. Not sure if English is your first language so I wonder if that's what you mean.

If it's crashing on an actual reboot as you say, is it hanging before, during or after the post screen at start up?

The operating system can't do anything if it's not loaded. Maybe you could try resetting the bios?

More details would help. Thanks.
    Be real, be sober.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Did you ever try to find the reason why it fails to boot, for example, by looking into the log files?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    Did you ever try to find the reason why it fails to boot, for example, by looking into the log files?
    Thanks for your reply, which log file shall I looking for?

After I do a upgrade, it become much better. Failed 1 time after 10 times reboot.